Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT commodore

S/K Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 9c1
Hey guys, hope all is well,

I’m having a problem with my partners commodore, the vehicle is

VEHICLE DETAILS
Year- 06/1998
Make- Holden
Model- Commodore
Body type- Sedan
Engine size- 3.8 litre v6
Drivetrain- 4 speed Automatic
Current ODO- 255,493

The problem is that in the morning on a warm to hot day, driving through the day the car runs/drive normal and idles normal, with or without A/C going.
Then when it comes to the end of the day with car at operating temperature, coming to a stop while still in drive the car randomly sounds and feels like it’s going to stall but doesn’t actually stall, the car will also shake like it’s going to stall, once it does this and shakes, without pressing on the accelerator, the car rpm goes up and car comes back to normal.
Now this won’t happen over and over constantly, only does it once, then anywhere between 5-10 seconds up to at least 30 seconds apart and will happen again and again.
Every time It does it, I will think it’s going to stall, but it won’t stall, just feel like it, sound like it and shake then good again.
Again in the morning and driving for hours it’s fine, only happens at the end of the day of driving a bit but not heaps and when it’s at operating temperature.

Things that I have done are…

Date- 06/02/2022
Kms- 254,616
New IAC valve, cleaned IAC valve housing throttle body with carby cleaner.

Fuel injector cleaner (unknown date or kms but between these to jobs)

Date- 30/01/2022
Kms- 254,059
New TPS, clean throttle body with carby cleaner

Date- 7/11/2021
Kms- 251,081
New DFI module replaced

Date- 01/11/2021
Kms- 251,000
New coil packs replaced

Date- 11/12/2020
Kms- 240,000
New spark plugs replaced- (IRIDIUM IX)
New spark plug leads replaced- (TOP GUN)

I do the standard service every 5,000 kms which is a basic service which is the follow.

Oil
Oil filter
Air filter
All fluids checked and topped up where needed
Complete safety check

And a major service every 10,000 kms.

Now I will mention something that I don’t know why I didn’t check out myself as it was very odd,
Right at the start when my partner got her car, she has a major service done and had her fuel filter replaced.
Upon picking up the car, she tried to start it and would only crank over but not start, she then tried again and I told her immediately to stop as I smelt fuel and seen fuel pouring out the back, the mechanic came out and pushed the car into the workshop driveway and jacked it up and had a look, he was saying it was odd as every time he put the fuel line on, it just kept coming off like there was no clip or anything holding it on, which I thought was odd so he just put a cable tie on it to hold it on.
So the other weekend I remembered there was a cable tie on it so I removed that and checked the line, i tested it by putting the fuel line back on and there was no problem, it stayed on even after a few good tugs,
I am going to replace her fuel filter soon.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated

Thank you

rmwilliams8989

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore v6
For the fuel line I would recommend the plastic disconnect tools so they can be manipulated into place as the metal clamp over tools in my case atleast were too tall and I had to modify my brand new tool haha. Quick and easy test it let the car idle. Up to temp and than when you feel like it’s about to stall. Dump some cold water over the crank trying to get the crank angle sensor. If it goes away and comes back. Crank angle sensor on the way out.