Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT crankshaft front seal

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
This was the only conclusion i could come to.

Im 99.78% sure its the correct seal.

And i didnt do too much sealant in the keyway just a dab.
Talking about wonky shafts i did a exstension housing seal on my vy recently and noticed the shaft sticking out had a lot of movement is this normal on a vy auto?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Talking about wonky shafts i did a exstension housing seal on my vy recently and noticed the shaft sticking out had a lot of movement is this normal on a vy auto?
The yoke normally takes up the play as long as the bush isn't worn too much.

Goznalez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore S1 3.8L ecotec
Ok, so i changed the balancer to a new one and everything appears to be ok now. Wish i had done this at the start! But i wouldnt have in any case as the balancer was the more expensive item of all the others.

The old balancer has a slight grove at the end of the shaft. Im thinking the rubber crank seal would sit right at it but the grove would be on the outside of the seal rather than in the timing cover.

Would anyone know how this is caused? Seems like it was the problem

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Ok, so i changed the balancer to a new one and everything appears to be ok now. Wish i had done this at the start! But i wouldnt have in any case as the balancer was the more expensive item of all the others.

The old balancer has a slight grove at the end of the shaft. Im thinking the rubber crank seal would sit right at it but the grove would be on the outside of the seal rather than in the timing cover.

Would anyone know how this is caused? Seems like it was the problem
did you put a new seal in you sure the balancer was the problem and not just a dicky seal did you read the post i posted about a guy having the same problem from a seal he got from holden genuine and it was fixed the second time around

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Road grime, dirt, sand sticking to liquid gets under the seal and grinds it away I suppose.

Goznalez

Reaction score
Members Ride
did you put a new seal in you sure the balancer was the problem and not just a dicky seal did you read the post i posted about a guy having the same problem from a seal he got from holden genuine and it was fixed the second time around
Nah its the same seal (2nd seal i put on)

Goznalez

Reaction score
Members Ride
Road grime, dirt, sand sticking to liquid gets under the seal and grinds it away I suppose.
Thats what i was thinking as if sandy grime got stuck on the rubber seal and Harmonic balancer shaft and as it rotates it slowly grinds away.

Are HBs supposed to be changed every 100k or 200k kms or something?