Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Cruise Control stopped working

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
Recently my cruise control stopped working. (worked fine few weeks earlier)
I'm just after any advice or a checklist of what to do to try to fix the problem.

I've already checked every globe in the car they all work (except for the passenger side reverse globe, has never worked so shouldn't be the problem?... I replaced the globe but guess no power goes to it... plus cruise worked with this problem in the past just fine.)

I checked all the dash lights and only the 'active' illuminates (the 'ON' light never worked when I bought the car, and cruise used to work then.)

I checked all the connections to the module and they seem fine.
I have a spare indicator stalk but am hesitant to put it on as the current one seems like it should be fine (looks better condition than my spare).

I've read about a brake pedal switch or something that could be the problem, if anyone has any more info on that?

Any help is muchly appreciated :thumbsup:
Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
The plug to the brake switch can be a bit hard to get to but you should see two plugs with senders screwed into the brake frame, (start where you put your foot and go up from there) one will be for the brake light and one for the cruise (i think that the brake light switch might also be looped into the seccond switch as a backup )

If you have a manual there will be a clutch switch also.

You can test these with a mulitmeter or unplug them and bridge them with a pice of wire but be carefull the cruise will not cut out unless you push the button on the stalk and you could end up in trouble real fast.

I would first check the stalk as its easy to change and i think thats whats playing up in dads VT ss

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
I replaced the stalk and test drove, but nothing.

I'm out of ideas, might buy a cheap 2nd hand module and try that unless someone has a better idea?
(is it just a unscrew and unplug job to do?)
BTW that brake switch is really well hidden, I cbf taking off all the plastic underneath just to 'check' it as I already made a mess on the steering surround :)

But what else could cause the problem...?
bloody thing is starting to piss me off... had to happen right at christmas :p

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
I replaced the stalk and test drove, but nothing.

I'm out of ideas, might buy a cheap 2nd hand module and try that unless someone has a better idea?
(is it just a unscrew and unplug job to do?)
BTW that brake switch is really well hidden, I cbf taking off all the plastic underneath just to 'check' it as I already made a mess on the steering surround :)

But what else could cause the problem...?
bloody thing is starting to piss me off... had to happen right at christmas :p

I would be checking the switch first, there is no way i would pay up for a new module and not checking the switch.

to access it better
remove the pannel that is for the fuses under the steering wheel
take out the the dash part that passes air from the dash to the door
remove the plastic cover above the peddles
remove a section of the duct work for the fan/ac

then you will have very easy access there is no wiring to undo just a few screws its easy just a bit of time is needed

BCRUZN

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice s2 5.7
Just a thought, but I had the switch thingy for the brake lights stop working (in the panel under the steering wheel - at the top of the brake pedal).

When I bought another one and replaced it, the brake lights started working but the cruise stopped working (I had to take out the cruise switch to be able to put in the lights one). It turns out that I didn't screw it in enough. They're in a very awkward spot, but is it possible that yours has simply lost contact, and may just need to be screwed in that little bit more??

Hopefully it's something as simple as that.

Good Luck.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I have cruise control stop working as above. Cruise light comes on but activation does not set at all. I replaced 1 faulty park/brake bulk it did not fix cruise.

I do have intermittent sound from stalk when indicating , the sound of flasher goes on when the indicator has finished.
Does this point to the stalk?
I took the stalk out and found the wires are all in good condition

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stalk is a common fault.