Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT door shakes / rattles over bumps

gtv6capri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Holden by Design
Hi all, I own a VT SS that has the factory HD tow pack (which apparantely means stiffer springs). Each time I go over a bump the DSF door moves up and down as if loose at the catch. A guy at work mentioned that there is a plastic sleeve on the latch that wears or breaks off allowing the up down movement. Anyone know if this is the case? If so is it a readily available part from GMH? Cheers JR

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hi all, I own a VT SS that has the factory HD tow pack (which apparantely means stiffer springs). Each time I go over a bump the DSF door moves up and down as if loose at the catch. A guy at work mentioned that there is a plastic sleeve on the latch that wears or breaks off allowing the up down movement. Anyone know if this is the case? If so is it a readily available part from GMH? Cheers JR
The plastic sleeve on the door striker can wear or break away. You can't just replace the plastic part so you will need a new striker and it should be available at Holden.

gtv6capri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Holden by Design
Dropped in to a local dealer today, says he's never heard of this being a common problem. If it's the door latches, they are $180 each as its a complete unit.

I looked at the striker plate on the door jamb and compared it to a new one. New ones have a black plastic shield over the U section that the latch clips over. My ones are missing the plastic. Perhaps this allowing a small amount of movement.

I have ordered 4 new plates @$8 ea and thought I'll drive in a new pair of hinge pins on the DSF door ($4 ea) and see if this works. If it does, its a fix for under $50, if it doesn't, then its not a huge loss

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Try undoing the striker plate a fraction and then tap in in a couple of mil to take out some of the slop

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Off topic here but my passenger seat also rattles when theres no one in it.
Seems to be worn somewhere, anyone else have this problem with either seats? and whats a good fix besides new rails?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I looked at the striker plate on the door jamb and compared it to a new one. New ones have a black plastic shield over the U section that the latch clips over. My ones are missing the plastic. Perhaps this allowing a small amount of movement.
That plastic on the striker doesn't look like much but if it's missing it sure will rattle.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
probably not it would be a little to thick depending on what thickness it is. my front doors are missing the black plastic bits and they dont rattle.