Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement

chris852

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the tensioner in my 99 VT - I can't find the instructions in the Ellery manual. Could anyone post instructions to remove the drive belt tensioner?

Thanks.

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
To Remove Tensioner
1. Disconnect battery earth lead.
2. Remove four nuts securing engine dress cover.
3. Using a 15 mm ring spanner on drive belt tensioner pulley pivot bolt, rotate tensioner pulley assembly anti-clockwise and remove drive belt from water pump pulley. Release tensioner pulley assembly and remove drive belt from remaining drive pulleys.
4.Remove radiator cap to release any cooling system pressure.
5.Remove generator assembly, (Alternator)
6. Remove nuts and powertrain wiring harness earth lead from tensioner bracket lower attaching studs.
7. Loosen hose clamp and remove heater outlet hose from heater outlet pipe connection.
8. Remove water inlet tube assembly.
9. Remove studs securing heater outlet pipe and drive belt tensioner assembly, pull heater outlet pipe out from inlet manifold connection and remove drive belt tensioner assembly.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
very poor design unfortunately, you will also need a new rubber red oring for when putting back the heater pipe. THen you need to top up and bleed the system all over again.

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
i did this today but i cannot get the heater pipe to stop leaking.. i replaced the oring but it still wont stop leaking.. anyone know how to fix?

Mr Jason Dennison

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais 98
To Remove Tensioner
1. Disconnect battery earth lead.
2. Remove four nuts securing engine dress cover.
3. Using a 15 mm ring spanner on drive belt tensioner pulley pivot bolt, rotate tensioner pulley assembly anti-clockwise and remove drive belt from water pump pulley. Release tensioner pulley assembly and remove drive belt from remaining drive pulleys.
4.Remove radiator cap to release any cooling system pressure.
5.Remove generator assembly, (Alternator)
6. Remove nuts and powertrain wiring harness earth lead from tensioner bracket lower attaching studs.
7. Loosen hose clamp and remove heater outlet hose from heater outlet pipe connection.
8. Remove water inlet tube assembly.
9. Remove studs securing heater outlet pipe and drive belt tensioner assembly, pull heater outlet pipe out from inlet manifold connection and remove drive belt tensioner assembly.

Mr Jason Dennison

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais 98
Thank u 4 your help as im changing my tension peice also..I needed to know if it was anti or clockwise!! Now i know.cheers man..Keep on burning that rubber!!.Jaydee

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
i did this today but i cannot get the heater pipe to stop leaking.. i replaced the oring but it still wont stop leaking.. anyone know how to fix?[
Hose clamps probably need re tightening

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
One tip, don't use the O ring that comes with the Tensioner. Go buy a genuine Holden one, I used the one with the Tensioner and it pissed coolant.

Attachments

• Belt Tensioner.JPG
    Belt Tensioner.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,494
  • Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 034.jpg
    Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 034.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Belt Tensioner - 4.JPG
    Belt Tensioner - 4.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 805
  • Belt Tensioner 2.JPG
    Belt Tensioner 2.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 753

moriati

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
hi guys i did mine today i bought the 0 rings from holden as the gentleman said in the above post i fitted everything correctly but i forgot to lubricate the 0 rings and apparently as i inserted the inlet pipe the 0 ring must have got caught somewhere along the way and it got cut when i filled up the radiator with coolant it started pissing out from the inlet pipe lucky i had the 0 ring that came with the tensioner and replaced it it worked fine but lucky i went to holden to buy the other two 0 rings.. so if your doing this make sure you lubricate the 0 rings with some vasalline it works fine and with a clean rag clean the inside of the the holes where the inlet and outlet heater pipes go....

moriati

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
hi guys i did mine today i bought the 0 rings from holden as the gentleman said in the above post i fitted everything correctly but i forgot to lubricate the 0 rings and apparently as i inserted the inlet pipe the 0 ring must have got caught somewhere along the way and it got cut when i filled up the radiator with coolant it started pissing out from the inlet pipe lucky i had the 0 ring that came with the tensioner and replaced it it worked fine but lucky i went to holden to buy the other two 0 rings.. so if your doing this make sure you lubricate the 0 rings with some vasalline it works fine and with a clean rag clean the inside of the the holes where the inlet and outlet heater pipes go....

moriati

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s