Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Driving with out a Cotter Pin Otherwise known as split pin in the tire rod end.

jarretxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
I was changing over a boot on my power steering rack and I have Broken the top of the tire rod bolt.
In the meantime between getting a new tire rod I have cut the end of the bolt so I could get the nut on..
I know this isn't the safest thing to do but I still need to drive around town is this okay as a temp fix ?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
As the castellated nut isn't a lock nut and uses the split pin to stop it undoing it's not really a good option.
Get a nyloc nut and put that on (providing there is enough thread for the nylon to lock with
nylock%20nut.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^^ Yep, that would do the trick.

The split pin is really only a back up to prevent the nut moving to far should it start to come loose. Ok to drive without if for a short distance but permanent fix sooner rather than later (and possibly becoming another statistic).

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
yeah...nyloc nut or loctite will get u by.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All the new ones generally come with a nyloc nut these days anyway so you may as well just use one of those. Depending on how old the tie rod is it might pay to just throw on a new one that way you know it will be good for many years to come and save you a wheel alignment should the old one be near the end of it's life.