Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Engine - Blown?

endlesshysteria

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe
Gday guys,

Had my VT for the last 2 years now and she has had a good life. Currently sitting on around the 230k mark but now having some issues and haven't had a chance to get it to the mechies.

Heading down the freeway Tuesday just gone she started making a ticking noise when accelerating which I thought was odd so whacked on the cruise control and no noise. Took it off cruise and accelerated and there it was again, put the cruise on and the noise started. Then I lost all power, managed to get it to the side of the road where she stopped. :cry:

Got her towed home and now trying to work out whats going on. Turn her over and she fires after a lot of effort, need to have foot flat to get it to start. When it does start its very rough and nearly shakes the car to bits. Give it some stick and it sounds even more rough, hard to explain but I am sure someone has heard it before :whistling Bang it into reverse and lose all power, need to keep the revs up in both drive and reverse to keep the engine turning over.

When she stopped I smelt a little burning oil but nothing extreme. Anyway I am thinking I am looking at a new engine and need to get her to the mechies for a full inspection but am away all week and wanted to see if anyone seen something similar or can confirm my worse expectations? Think this engine might be :rip:

Cheers fellas.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
What happens if you start it and put it in Neutral? Does it keep the revs up? Or does it stall? Or just run rough?

endlesshysteria

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe
Gets pretty close to stalling but just hangs in there however shakes the rest of the car to bits. After getting it warm it won't stall in neutral but when first fires, the revs drop and gets pretty close to a stall.

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
sounds like you've over-heated it , the ticking was ur tappets prolly cos your oil thinned out from the extreme temp,

and it probably stopped because your starter got fried from the heat

and your radiator is prolly cactus as well

sorry to be the bearer of bad news

what area are you in?, i would be giving commwreck a call if ur in the sydney area

endlesshysteria

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe
Cheers for the replies guys, sorry for late reply, been away for work...

Not really bad news, I had been waiting to hear that since the night that it happened just needed it confirmed.

Not in Sydney I'm in Perth and now chasing an engine for her, anybody know of someone who has one? :bow:

Also be chasing someone to put it in, either paying full price or be interested in someone who has a crane etc and help put it in, something I never done before and would be interested in.

Otherwise I have my own IT business and can fix your computer :yeah:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I would pin it more on a vacuum leak from somewhere. After i did a head gasket [after overheating a few times] had that replaced and had heads machined. Vacuum line came disconnected and car was hard to start, when it did start i needed to keep the RPM's up and it DID stall a few times, but when it was about to stall (even if it didn't) it shook the vehicle fairly violently. Superglued the vacuum line back on and it was all good.

But if you had problems with heat i would definatly be changing the oil and pressure testing the cooling system.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
is the engine light on? I would be looking for error codes - particularly air flow meter....