Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice... cleaned my plenum and throttle body for my VT V6 commodore today, and after bolting everything back together and starting her up the engine light came on. I get very nervous when I see engine lights and dont know what to do!

I also changed the fuel filter, but im sure that wouldnt make anything go crazy??

Any advice?? I used a piece of wire and it seems there are a lot of codes coming up..... I find it hard to read the flashes tho.

I would love to hear what you think.... hopefully its a self fix... don't have the cash for a mechanic.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ash

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Make sure theres no vacuum leaks
The hose under the throttle body is a tricky one sometimes
also check to plugged everything back in on the throttle body + a couple vacuum lines on the back of the manifold

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I will definately second vacuum lines make sure they're all plugged in etc etc did u clean the maf too? If so did you use maf safe cleaner??

Did u match the arrow on the filter up according to flow?

Take another stab at code reading will give a much better idea on what's going on!

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
mmm...... did you replace all the gaskets .

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Thanks for the quick replies team.
Ill have to check them tomo morn.... fingers crossed its that simple. If that doesnt work is there anything else I should look at? Also, after checking the vacuums will the comps auto reset?

No I didnt ckean maf, and yes think the fue filter was correct. The old one didnt have an arrow so just matched its orientation based on appearance.

No I didnt change all gaskets aa the set I bought were incorrect, good for top and bottom of plenum but not to manifold. Didnt think much of it as they seemed to looking in good condition still.

Any other tipsfor readingthe flashing lights? Any other potential risks I should be concerned about?

Thanks!!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
and yes think the fue filter was correct. The old one didnt have an arrow so just matched its orientation based on appearance
The arrow on the fuel filter must face the same way the fuel flows.

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Call me paranoid, but Im quite worried it could be a serious problem... from experience do you think theres need for concern?
Need a good nights sleep haha

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
From experience i would say its a small issue.
I would be more worried if you were playing around with the bottom end

Im sure its just a leak or something not plugged in

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Try clearing the errors by removing the battery terminal for a minute and putting your foot on the brake whilst the battery is disconnected to drain any residual power.. Then run the engine for a bit and recheck the codes.