Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Engine won't turn over.

btgoodgame343

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Hey guys, a while ago I bought a late 98' VT Ecotec Series 2 and I've only just tried to start it for the first time. The instrument lights come on and all the exterior lights work, but as soon as I turn it to start it dies completely and all that remains is the odometer when i return the key to the first position. Taking the key out and trying again leaves no instrument lights, and again only the odometer in the first position. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery solves the instruments, but repeats itself. The battery has no problem with voltage, but I am wondering if the battery I have may be too weak, It's rated for 500 CCA and in my second car, a VY, I think it's 560.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I would think the battery is weak from sitting around. Have you measured the voltage when you try to start it. 500 CCA should be adequate.

btgoodgame343

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
So I left it for a while, and went back. It turned over for a little while, and then cut out again. The battery after cranking was drained to 12.10, and slowly raised itself back to 12.82, so I think there may be something wrong with it. I needed a new battery anyway, this one is just borrowed. Do you have a specific recommendation on CCA? Would 600 be too much or would it give me more turning time, because currently it has a blown head gasket and I'm trying to get it running long enough to get it in the shed.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
600cca will be fine. Generally the only problem with having a higher cca rating means that the battery is physically alot bigger. Try just starting it from another car if u can...it sounds like it is failing under load.

btgoodgame343

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Thanks guys, went out this morning and got myself a 650 CCA and it worked perfectly, even managed to start it up. And now for the real problems, which is in another thread.