Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Exec, Indicator Troubles

vortex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Exec, Factory Manual
Have searched and it appears indicator issues are relatively common, but none of the other threads are the same issues I'm experiencing.

My left hand indicator works no worries, always bright and always works. Right hand is a different story. Sometimes it will work perfectly for a month, bright and doesn't blow fuses. But then all of a sudden it will start to pop fuses, the light is dim, and when flashing you can see all the other lights dim as the indicator flashes. On occasions it appears to be random, you turn on the indicators, they're nice and bright, then dim for a few flashes, then bright again. Vice-versa as well.

My hazards don't work properly either, when I flick them on, all of them blink dimly like the right indicator, and the fuses pop if left on. I had not tested this today prior to swapping the indicator stalk.

Obviously I have a short somewhere.

I have swapped the indicator stalk as I figured this was the cause of the problem, among other issues such as the high beams flicking on and off around corners when the headlights were on, indicators not self-canceling etc.

The short remains with a swapped (second hand though) indicator stalk, which says to me at least for the indicator issue the stalk/switch was not the problem.

All the bulbs are OK, no water in the lights.

Would the Hazard switch be the next thing to swap, or would I have a short elsewhere in the system? If so, where should I start looking?

vortex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyone?

Can someone please point me to a VT wiring diagram so I can diagnose it myself?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Try replacing the flasher unit as mentioned above.If it still blows fuses etc,and if its got a towbar fitted,there will be a trailer wiring harness plug in or near the boot/rear bumper area.These can sometimes cause electrical faults if the wires get damaged ,so it could be worth checking it out,especially if its the type of trailer wiring connector that just sits around in the boot.These can get damaged fairly easily.

vortex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks, swapped the flasher unit over - it appeared to be no different at first, then it worked, and the indicator was bright again. By the time I got home again it was dim and dull again. Have checked the trailer wiring and can't see any problems there at least on the surface.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have you checked the blinker bulbs on the side thats having the problem.Id remove each bulb, front and back and side, and check them all out for corrosion or even a broken bulb base,Make sure theres no odd bulbs,like both bulbs should be exactly the same side to side..If any look bodgey,lust check the same blinker bulb on the other side to make sure they are the same bulb.Also closely check the bulb holders for any signs of damage,corrosion etc.

vortex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pulled out all the bulbs, the front right indicator was quite corroded - cleaned it up with some emery paper and it worked first time I tried it - so here's hoping it's fixed. Not holding my breath though!

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
If you have the problem again, go to a wrecker and pick the best indicator plug you can find. Replace the corroded one. Corrosion does not go away. When you install the new/second-hand one, give it a squirt inside with WD40 before you put the bulb in.

vortex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like this has been resolved. No further issues as yet.