Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt executive starting issu

Illphj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt executive Commodore
Hey all,
My Commodore vt executive v6 over the last couple months has twice after relatively short trips been turned off and then not started again until cooled down and now it won't start at all, the lights on the dash come on and I hear the fuel pump whir and click off but it makes a horrific fast and loud click noise from inside engine bay when key turned to full ignition my knowledge is minimal so I'm thinking the fuel pump and battery are fine , possibly crank angle sensor , spark plugs or starter motor any help much appreciated

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The trick seems to be pour some cold water on the crank angle sensor to cool it down, then if the car starts, the cas is crook and needs replace.

Illphj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt executive Commodore
Thanks mate . It's not starting when cold either now I appreciate the feedback

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Could it be your KEY?
We were unable to start VT and it was a faulty key. Used the other key and it is fine. Bought a key case repair kit to fix faulty and the key works to start car now, but inbuilt battery will not hold enough charge (we think) to allow the remote to work.

Reading your description again, if the sound is very very fast, faster than normal, then it could be your starter motor is spinning without cog being engaged.

Last edited:

Illphj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt executive Commodore
I hadn't thought of that it is worn

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey all,
My Commodore vt executive v6 over the last couple months has twice after relatively short trips been turned off and then not started again until cooled down and now it won't start at all, the lights on the dash come on and I hear the fuel pump whir and click off but it makes a horrific fast and loud click noise from inside engine bay when key turned to full ignition my knowledge is minimal so I'm thinking the fuel pump and battery are fine , possibly crank angle sensor , spark plugs or starter motor any help much appreciated
I'd be looking at what is making the noise?
Relay? Starter motor?

Illphj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt executive Commodore
Thanks for the pointers lads it was the starter moter