Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt extractor questions

moz7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hey, I have Vt wagon v6 with a lukey cat back 2.5 inch exhaust with two mufflers, I like the note it has when your driving around at about 3000 rpm it just sounds nice and doesn't really drone too bad. But it has no take off noise like if you put the foot down it is quite then when you get to desired speed like 70 km/h the note comes back. If I add lukey extractors with a high flow cat, will I get the take off note that I'm after, I know it won't sound like a v8 but I want something as I'm sick of having a quite car. So lemme no what you think because some people say it helps others say it does nothing so I dunno any more. Thanks.

HTV1900

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown SS VY
maybe a little but I doubt it would be much. note is mainly controlled by mufflers.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I found that with the addition of headers , the exhaust note did change to more burbly note at idle , and when under throttle the note became a louder burble , keep in mind that in NZ the exhausts and headers are different to those you can buy in Australia , mine are Coby headers , into a tuned 2.5 inch RPS high flow system , which was designed for the V6 Commodore , so the drone is minimal .
Hope this helps .

moz7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
I found that with the addition of headers , the exhaust note did change to more burbly note at idle , and when under throttle the note became a louder burble , keep in mind that in NZ the exhausts and headers are different to those you can buy in Australia , mine are Coby headers , into a tuned 2.5 inch RPS high flow system , which was designed for the V6 Commodore , so the drone is minimal .
Hope this helps .
This does kinda help, does any one know what to do to help get the take off noise???

moz7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
It does help thanks but can any one tell me what to do to get that take off sound??

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hey, I have Vt wagon v6 with a lukey cat back 2.5 inch exhaust with two mufflers, I like the note it has when your driving around at about 3000 rpm it just sounds nice and doesn't really drone too bad. But it has no take off noise like if you put the foot down it is quite then when you get to desired speed like 70 km/h the note comes back.

Can you please explain this a little better? I know with my car at around 70-80km/h it drones, so are you sure your not hearing that and wanting more of that sound?

moz7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
It does kinda but it also has that like crispness to it if you no what I mean.. Like its not like one note it kinda crackles a little, and I want to have like a growl kinda thing when I put my foot down because ATM it's quite but once you hit the 70 it comes in with a crackle when you let off it and cruise at that speed. Like doesn't drone you can hear the exhaust like pulsing haha

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Extractors will make the note more defined, and it will be better under acceleration. The high flow cat will be the thing that makes the most difference. It will make it louder and raspier and probably achieve the note you are after. The extractors will also give you better acceleration.

I can send you a set of extractors and a high flow metallic cat for $580 shipped.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's a MagnaFlow cat and Wildcat (made by Genie) extractors. The extractors bolt straight up with no welding, but the cat will have to be welded in.