Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Front brake conversion onto VS Commodore - COMPLETED with front calipers locking.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Well I have been watching this post and am wondering whether the problem got sorted or not. I was puzzled from the start that the job was done but the hub rings still had to be purchased. By hub rings do you mean the spacers that sit the new rotors in the right place when installed on VS hubs?If so I don't understand how the brakes could be "done" without this part. Also this seemed a significant comment: When i go to put the master onto the booster i can feel it pushing the piston in from the booster which didn't happen originaly? Sounds like a spacer or other mod is needed here.
I would like to do an upgrade on my VP but will need to install new hubs to take the new rotors because the VP has a combined hub and rotor. It's a bit hard to justify the expense for a VE kit given that it costs about what the car is worth all up so if I do it it will be a pure indulgence.
Anyhoo it is always interesting to know if and how a problem is sorted cos then it helps others too. Nudge, nudge (vscomm88)

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey mate.

No, the problem hasn't been sorted. I cracked the shits for now and put a VS master and another VS booster on(As i grinded the pushrod down which then didn't leave me with enough room to push the piston back for the rear brakes to activate'

The hub ring centralises the rotor, i've spoken to 3 brake shops and they say you can no longer get it or they've never heard of it.

I am going to get a seal kit put through one of the VT masters as it has pushed the piston right far back and comes out of the housing by a fraction.

To see if this is going to work on your car i would just get a VS plastic booster and a VT master, remove that 8mm bolt inside the push rod and see if it clears. If so, you're in luck.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
And hence the reason for my input on the VE upgrade.

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
There's got to be something wrong with you, $800 for a VS upgrade kit to VE as opposed to at least half of that price for VT.

This VT kit has costed me $100 in total so far, that's a master from the wrecker and a new booster from the wrecker. As i said, my old car had the conversion done and i had everything lying around, bar the calipers which got reconditioned.

For the price of the two, i can't understand why anyone would want to go to VE. Who ever pays that much to get VT brakes installed .. Well they've got issues.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
By what I have heard VT brake conversion sounds like a pain in the ass.
Where the VE sounds like a bolt on, bleed up, piss off job.
Plus you get a better feel on the pedal and much better braking ability.

Just noting: I have yet to do the upgrade or buy a kit.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Installing the VT's is not harder then the VE's. VT's is also $600-700 cheaper too.

I'm trying to sell mine for $250 and no body wants a piece of it.

Tweetbix

Reaction score
Members Ride
Evo VI
Installing the VT's is not harder then the VE's. VT's is also $600-700 cheaper too.

I'm trying to sell mine for $250 and no body wants a piece of it.

Sorry to stray off topic, would you be able to list whats included in what you are trying to sell? or at least PM?

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Complete kit VT brake upgrade kit front a rear. Came of IRS VR commodore.
Calipers
DBA drilled and cross slotted fronts
Slotted rears
Hoses + brackets

All it needs is fluid new pads and lick of paint to make it look pretty.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I don't know why people continue to stuff around with the VT conversion when the VE spec kit works straight out of the box with no need to change anything else.

Having to shell out for bigger wheels and tyres is a major factor commonly omitted in the reasoning behind doing the ve over the vt and vt stuff is dirt cheap...and there seems to be few if any people who offer just the ve caliper adapter brackets as all the other ve stuff is easy to find now at the wreckers.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Having to shell out for bigger wheels and tyres is a major factor commonly omitted in the reasoning behind doing the ve over the vt and vt stuff is dirt cheap...and there seems to be few if any people who offer just the ve caliper adapter brackets as all the other ve stuff is easy to find now at the wreckers.

Aren't there 2 size options for both the VT and VE upgrade for the front discs? From memory I think the VE smaller size is 298mm and the VT 296mm. Will these fit with standard (chaser) rims? Presumably with the bigger disc size (I think about 330mm for both) for either of the conversions you need bigger rims and tyres to suit.
How much of an improvement over VP V8 front brakes (290mm) would I notice with say the VE 298mm fronts? I know the VEs are a twin piston caliper.
So are you saying that if the VE kits could be broken up then that conversion would be cheaper because calipers and discs (and perhaps hoses) could be bought from wreckers?