Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Front brake conversion onto VS Commodore - COMPLETED with front calipers locking.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
not sure if the drama with the ve is diameter or fouling on the hub part of the rim
also diameter of hub is different on ve to vr/s...I think the stock disc might need machining of the centre hole for it to fit

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
15" rims should fit over brakes up to 300mm original VE rotors won't work on earlier model commodores because as far as I can see the rotor to hub offset is different, also the VE's use a different stud pattern.

Yes, the VE brakes don't need the brake booster/master cylinder upgrade like the VT brake upgrade does, having said that I just drove a HSV VS Senator yesterday with the standard brakes and they scared me, that's to much brake pedal travel, poor feel for that sort of power. In a car like that I'd be upgrading to the VT style master cylinder/booster straight away.

Yes, it takes a couple of hours to swap a VT style MC/booster into a VR/VS model car but I think it's worth the extra time as the steel double diaphragm VT style booster and fast fill MC is just a better unit then that plastic crap they fitted standard on the VS Commodores.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks for the replies above. At risk of hijacking this thread I am starting with a VP so my first step would be fitting different hubs that would be 1. separate from the disc and 2. have a stud pattern to suit whichever disc I was fitting. The hubs, on their own, are quite pricey, and so this adds a bit to the cost of a kit for an upgrade over the cost to do a VR or VS.
Immortality, I take it that the HSV Senator has upgraded discs but perhaps still a 15/16ths" MC leading to the pedal problem associated with VT upgrades?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nahh, stock standard brakes from what I could see, they felt just like the brakes in the missus VS V6, poorly.

The conversion hubs to suit VB-VP are designed to suit the VT rotors which have a slightly larger diameter internal diameter on the hub.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
To elaborate on the VE kit.

The calipers and pads are VE items, the rotors are not. They are specifically for the intended model to suit the VE calipers. I believe the rotor to suit the VR-VS is actually a Ford Territory blank drilled to suit the Commodore PCD. The VE being twin piston and having less displacement as the VT caliper gives increased pad pressure over standard VR-VS calipers.

The VB-VP kit comes with hubs as well so that the rotors become "floating" like the later models.

The VE kit comes with either 298mm or 322mm rotors, 16" is the minimum recommended for the 298mm and 17" for the 322mm. These days it's less of an issue because most people already have larger rims anyway. The rotors are also curve slotted and dimpled.

It all comes down to what people are prepared to pay when upgrading brakes. If you want to spend a LOT more time and replace more parts and don't want to spend the money on a true caliper and rotor upgrade, then go VT. But the VE is a better option as it works straight out of the box without having to cut and shut anything else on the car. There is no need to modify mounting brackets for boosters, or pushrods for the m/cyl.

I am all for DIY, and especially for saving money. But sometimes people will pay for the convenience of a 1 hour job as opposed to spending less but having the "upgrade" drag into days chasing down one problem after another.

Good on you for doing it on the cheap, but you are still yet to get it working properly? I'm not knocking anybody for choosing to do a VT upgrade, I only pointed out there is a much easier and better option available.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There is a supplier in NZ that makes new brake booster brackets which makes the VT style booster a direct bolt in option with the correct offset/angle so everything works as it should. The only thing that needs to be done is the hole in the arm needs to be enlarged about .5mm to suit the pin in the brake pedal assembly.

Fitting the complete VT style brake system is definitely an upgrade for any Commodore VB-VS except some HSV models which already had the factory big brake upgrades.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
never mind .......

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride