Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Front end bushes - how to guide???

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Hi all,

I desperately need to replace my bushes on the front end of my vt commodore. It's a 2000 v6 series 2 I think.

I've been quoted a couple of fairly expensive quotes and am keen to do the job myself.

The things my mechanic has mentioned that I need are:

- front lower control arm inner bushes
- front castor rod bushes
- front link arm bushes

While I'm doing the work are there any other components that may be worth replacing? Any other bushes within the assembly perhaps?

I have a few questions regarding the work:

- is it an easygoing enough job for someone with basic know how?
- will I need any special tools?
- will I need a car hoist or stands, or could I get the job done with a simple jack?
- any tips or tricky steps to look out for?
- if anyone has a good reference or could write down a how to guide I'd be so thankful! It's a bit daunting but I'm sure with the forums experts we can work it out!!

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers,

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Also is there another term for the front link arm? I can't seem to find much info on it....

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Thanks mate, that is a good video, happened to find it just before also!

Now just need to find something on front lower control arm inner bushes and the link pin bushes

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Also... Are the bushes easy enough to pop out at home? I've read that I may need to take it to a mechanic but also that I could do it myself, any experience with this anyone?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Probably add rear caster rod bushes to the list if you're doing the others and they're knackered.
I'd use 2 piece nolathane replacements for the inner lca and rear caster bushes.
The stock rubber bushes require a press to install, removing them would be easier with a press aswell but you can spend a bit more time bashing them out with a hammer and drift (for the inner caster bushes grind/cut 1 edge off).... not much fun, the 2 piece replacements just follow the instructions with them.
Front caster rod bushes and just bolt in, put these in while the car is still up in the air and leave the rear caster rod bolt lose so you can move it around and get them in.

As you need to get under the car to undo things stands are required, not a job to do only relying on a jack.
Add a wheel alignment to the list once it's all fitted.

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like an achievable task. I imagine I'll have to take the brake rotor and caliber off to get the control arm free?

Radius rod worth doing also do you think? And how bout the tie rod for the steering rack? They likely to fail also??

What would I do without you guys! .... I'd have nothing to tinker on and have no money for beer!

D

devilly

when replacing the tie rod end's, donut rubber goes at the top.better off to get all the parts and new struts,do the whole lot in one go,and talk em down to the specs.then get a wheel alignment.special tools, i think all i needed was the long socket's to remove the struts.you will need stands to do it or ramps in the right place,remember to think of the swinging tools when you put your stands in place.and grab some wd40 spray it down, go to sleep start job next day,works well for me :)