Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT fuel gauge stuck after fuel pump replacement

thennis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I was having problems with my fuel gauge showing empty when I still had some 30L in the tank. It wasn't a problem with the fuel gauge itself because the computer was coinciding with the fuel gauge in terms of "kms to go till empty".

I replaced the fuel pump and sender assembly with a brand new genuine Holden assembly. For the first couple of starts it was showing the correct amount of fuel left (just over 1/4 of a tank). Later that day my fuel gauge became stuck (and is still stuck) on just over 3/4 of a tank. I understand the reason for this may be because the fuel sender is not receiving any power.

If anyone has had the same problem and found a solution, your help would be much a appreciated.

Cheers

tallvy2berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Berlina hail damaged
hey mate have a problem with my gauge as well and i get around it by looking at the fuel used gauge as i know that i have a 75l tank and i fill up when i have used 60l-65l just to be safe

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Did you have your cluster calibrated to the new sender?

thennis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Showbags,

Thanks for your quick response. I did not have my cluster calibrated to the new sender.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a cluster and how do I calibrate it?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L

thennis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I had a look at that thread but it's pretty unclear. I followed his instruction but couldn't come up with the correct values.

I disconnected the battery for a period of about 30mins. It didn't help and the fuel gauge is still stuck on just over 3/4 of a tank.

I just want to be clear...my fuel gauge not only doesn't show the correct level, it doesn't move from its position. The level indicator was stuck on just over 3/4 when the tank was 1/4 full, then I filled the tank up and it still didn't move...and hasn't moved since.

If anyone else has any insight it would be great.

Thanks.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the VT fuel pump assembly is anything like the VS type, which has the fuel gauge float arm on it as well as the fuel pump, sometimes if you are not heaps careful when the fuel pump is removed or refittted into the tank, you can accidently bend the float arm, which can cause the fuel gauge to read wrong, or not work at all in some cases. Ive fixed a couple of dodgy fuel gauges like this in the VR and VS before, so if the VT has a similar setup with its gauge and fuel pump assembly both included in the one thing, then Id remove the fuel pump assembly again, and check for a bent or stuck float arm.

Last edited:

thennis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I did just that. The new fuel pump float arm is slightly longer than the old pump and the float arm seemed to be leaning against the tank. I rotated the fuel pump slightly to free up the float and the fuel gauge is now moving.

It's still not accurate and it now needs calibration.

Thanks for everyone's posts.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the float arm used in the VT's is a metal type,(ive seen some plastic float arms used in other cars),then you can bend the float arm up or down slightly, which will adjust the fuel level readings shown on the gauge.Bending it up slightly will cause the gauge to read lower, bending it down slightly will make the gauge read higher.Ive got the fuel gauge readings spot on in my VS by adjusting it this way until it read the fuel levels perfectly.

runamuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt supercharged
i just got a tech2 for mine and trying to work out to fix it after putting a new fuel pump in and not saying its 75l anymore
any help anyone?