Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Fuel Gauge

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
In my mums vt v6 , she's been saying lately that the fuel gauge been playing up, she filled it up then 2 days later the fuel light is on, then when she goes to drive the next day its back up where it should be , this happens on and off, some days its good, some days its bad. Ive done a forum search but havnt really found an answer to the prob, can anyone give me insight on this please?

thanks,
Jamie

mistaken

... pimpin it VT stylez
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Probably a faulty sender unit. Change the screen mode to 'KMs til empty' and monitor that aswell.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
yeh she allways drives with that on and it fluctuates with the gauge,if ts the sender unit, is it hard to replace/expensive??
thanks fo ur help

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
i find when i fill mine, if its near a quarter full, when i start the car after filling, it will show full then go back to where it was, stay there for a few mins, then work its way back up, it only happens when i fill up though. could this be a related problem?

magomes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Well i read somewhere, i cant remember where. i gotta find out that the fuel gauge only gives you an average mean not actual values because as you drive the fuel churns a lot in the tank which can cause the readings to go out of wack.

But then again, why is it it doesn;t happen to other cars? I dont know but i get a similar problem on my VT and every other VT i have looked at does that too. It must be something to do with the software maybe.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
VT fuel guages are crap..Had mine fixed once & now stuffed again..
There should have been a recall on these I recon..
Like for goodness sake they can get the fuel gauge to work on an EH but not on a VT for fuks sake

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
ok guys i had a look at it yesterday when i took it for a drive and the gauge said half a tank , and the fuel light was on, how can that be? isnt the fuel light onli supposed to be on when there is 10L left? she said the light comes on sometimes at 3/4 tank also, the fuel gauge seems accurate cos we compared with how many k's she does to what the gauge says, its just the light coming on that has us confused??? any ideas? Much appreciated

Rgrds
Jamie

andrew05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Belina
I replaced my vx sender unit last month - this is a really common fault. New sender cost around $100 and you have to pull the tank out. seems a crap solution but after trying to fix the old sender a while back (lasted only a few weeks) I'd say that purchasing the new sender and dropping the tank, or paying someone to do it is the only fix that's going to work.

If you have a multimeter you can test the sender on ohms - disconnect the harness and measure the impedance - should be between 240 ohms (full) - 40ohms (empty) any other readings or if it jumps around like crazy then the sender is faulty.

If you do this measurement tho make sure you disconnect the harness - you dont want to attach the meter to the instrument computer side and risk harming that. One harness you can get to (with less dificulty than others) is in under the rear axle. Gregorys will tell you more.

If you have a Berlina/Calais then one work around is to reset the trip distance every time you fill up and then use the "fuel used" display to show how much you've used (and therefore how much you've got left).

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
thanks andrew, i guess for now she can drive it around and try to ignore the fuel light(how much i hate red lights on dash when im driving!!)untill i get time off work to fix it