Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt fuel pump replacement - easy d.i.y?

2001wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon 2001
Is it the fuel pump problem ?

I have a V6 VT Commodore wagon for ten years and last 3 or 4 months, the engine is pretty rough on idle and it's served regularly and mechanic blames the low level of fuel is the blame. But I know it is not true because I still have the same problems when the tank is full. Last week or so, sometimes when it starts, the engine is short of fuel and stall and eventually starts again. Two days ago, I started the engine after parking for 1 hour and the engine wasn't running smoothly, but I make a U turn and the engine stalled and stopped completely in the middle of the road, and will not start. With the help of couple of people and pushed the car to road side. When NRMA road service came in, he diagnosed as I ran out of fuel and bought $20 worth of petrol and filled it up. The engine did started after couple of cart and stop and pretty rough at the beginning and eventually running normally. I went and fill up the tank after that and next day used the car whole day and came home in the afternoon in the drive way. My Mrs ask me to buy milk from the shop and reversed the car to get out of the drive way. When the car reached the middle of the road, the engine stalled and stopped and won't start again. I pushed the car back to the drive way and the engine won't cart now.
NRMA came in and asked me what happens and reckon it's the fuel pump. He did two things, change the relay fuse and hit the fuel tank with rubber hammer and the engine still won't start. So he pulled the car out of the drive way and park the car properly at road side and arrange for toll truck to toll the car to my mechanic.
I rang my mechanic and he said "Are you sure it's fuel pump ?" . there is no problem of replacing the file pump and it may not fix the problem.

So the car was tolled to my mechanic place to replace the fuel pump. He tried to start up the engine and it started it up straight away !
The replacement fuel pump is coming on Monday and what should I do now ?
Should I go ahead and replace the fuel pump ?
Should I arrange for further testing to confirm whether it's a fuel pump problem or not ? What sorts of tests can be done to confirm it's fuel pump problem or not ?

Summary of problems :
Engine rough on idle, sometimes engine won't start (stalled and stopped on slight slope and when turning and won't start after that) . It will start again depending on the the ground level and whether steering is straight or not ? Rough engine on idle has been happening for a while now (almost 3 months). but the start up problem is happening only last 3 days.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
I'd say it was the fuel pump. My ride has a rough idle and it also sounds rough on acceleration. It also cuts out when the petrol is low and I make a tight right turn, though when I straighten up it kicks back in and carries on going. I think there's also a tell tale droplet of petrol in the drive now and then... I bought it knowing there was a fuel pump issue and me and my mate are gonna tackle it one day soon.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
Question where can I buy a fuel pump to replace the old one with???

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
You can buy them from Repco , Bursons or Holden. Mine cost me $90

antneilz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore LS1
Hey just wondering where is the fuel pump relay located? I have the same issue except I have changed my fuel pump and it only kicks over sometimes. Sometimes nothing at all. Cheers

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Relay is in the engine bay relay box. Drivers side.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Hi I am installing a super charger on my 2004 vz and I need to change the fuel pump. Can anyone PLEASE tell me where it is. Big thanks if anyone can

You installing a s/c ?? Good luck ...

Oh..The fuel pump...

Here it is..

Attachments

• io.jpg
    io.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 3,918

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hey just wondering where is the fuel pump relay located? I have the same issue except I have changed my fuel pump and it only kicks over sometimes. Sometimes nothing at all. Cheers

Relay is in the engine bay relay box. Drivers side.
Have a look under the cover of the fuse/relay box.
There should be a diagram of the lay out of the fuses and relays.

#Brock

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammmed Slammed Blown VT SS 3:9 Shift Kitted
My fuel gauge is stuck on full, suspect the sender's had it so I'll be swapping it out soon. Has this happened to anyone else