Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Gearbox into VS

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hey Guys,

I know and I think this has already been asked and answered before, but not for the life of me could I find any post using the Search function.

Looking at getting a VS with a Stuffed Gearbox at the moment. I have a VT Gearbox with nothing wrong with it out of my Berlina. What would need doing if I was to put it into the VS? Would the VS tail shaft need modifying?

Thanks in Advance

Mumbo

[p]wrr-247

Mr14ry
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais v8
i would think sraight swap ut dont take if from me i got no idea dont really help you but

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Yes you can use a vt auto box in a vs. It will run fine off the vs pcm and you use your existing vs tailshaft. You'll have to grind away a bit of alloy on the vt box bellhousing to clear your exhaust. A vt box is much stronger than a vs.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Yeah knew the VT box is much stronger hence the fact wanting to put one in LOL. Awesome as, thought you would need to Modify the Tailshaft but if it will go right in, then all the more better :)

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
Hey Guys,

I know and I think this has already been asked and answered before, but not for the life of me could I find any post using the Search function.

Looking at getting a VS with a Stuffed Gearbox at the moment. I have a VT Gearbox with nothing wrong with it out of my Berlina. What would need doing if I was to put it into the VS? Would the VS tail shaft need modifying?

Thanks in Advance

Mumbo
1. VT-On wont fit into Pre VT cars with out modding the exhaust. Which is a pain as there ain't no room to run a good flowing exhaust. However the series 3 VS Ute runs the same box and has a modded bell housing and cover plate which allows you to run the factory VS exhaust.

2. VT-ON runs a New design Torque converter which cant be used with the Pre VT computers as what VT_Acclm has said about the software. There is a new valve design in the valve body but it the same shape and the VT just runs a better sleeve to stop ware in the bore.

3. there is no way the trans would work 100% if fitted in a VR the 3/2 kick down is totally different and the lockup is totally different the life span would be shorter than the correct box.

4. To fit into a VS the VS converter would need to be used and the Series 3 Ute bell housing would need to be fitted but i have never tried it and will never try it.

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
1. VT-On wont fit into Pre VT cars with out modding the exhaust. Which is a pain as there ain't no room to run a good flowing exhaust. However the series 3 VS Ute runs the same box and has a modded bell housing and cover plate which allows you to run the factory VS exhaust.

2. VT-ON runs a New design Torque converter which cant be used with the Pre VT computers as what VT_Acclm has said about the software. There is a new valve design in the valve body but it the same shape and the VT just runs a better sleeve to stop ware in the bore.

3. there is no way the trans would work 100% if fitted in a VR the 3/2 kick down is totally different and the lockup is totally different the life span would be shorter than the correct box.

4. To fit into a VS the VS converter would need to be used and the Series 3 Ute bell housing would need to be fitted but i have never tried it and will never try it.

Agreed your box should have 6hhd for 96vs so u should replace it with 6hhd

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
VT Box Being Stronger than VS? Wouldn't that Depend on which box your VS has to begin with?

VS Had a few different Auto boxes, example the Towing Pack and Supercharged models had stronger boxes.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.

Hmm, not here to argue, but not all entirely correct imo.

1. If you modify the vt bellhousing you won't have to touch the stock vs exhaust. Yes a series 3 vs bellhousing would be ideal but they're very hard to come by (especially without the rest of the box attached and the OP wants to use a vt box he already has). The vt bellhousing is modified to similar replicate a vs series 3.

2. This is correct and I failed to mention it. You MUST use your existing 1800 stall vs torque converter.

3. The OP wants to fit the vt box to a vs (i.e electronic, not cable kickdown). A vr was never in question (but you're right it can't be fitted to a vr).

4. Refer 1 & 2.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
VS Had a few different Auto boxes, example the Towing Pack and Supercharged models had stronger boxes.

VS with towing pack or L67 received the same auto box, just with a trans cooler and the L67 has a higher stall converter (2600rpm as compared to 1800).

HOLDEN.UTE.GIRL

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore vs ser3 ute
"1. VT-On wont fit into Pre VT cars with out modding the exhaust. Which is a pain as there ain't no room to run a good flowing exhaust. However the series 3 VS Ute runs the same box and has a modded bell housing and cover plate which allows you to run the factory VS exhaust.

4. To fit into a VS the VS converter would need to be used and the Series 3 Ute bell housing would need to be fitted but i have never tried it and will never try it."

NOW THIS IS ONLY TELLING ME INFORMATION IF THE GEARBOX WAS AUTO, WHAT IF I WANT TO PUT A MANUEL VT BOX INTO MY VS SER 3 UTE? IS THAT POSSIBLE