Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt grommet hole

shanesvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commdore 3.8 v6
i made a hole for my amp power cord through the drivers side grommet hole and hit some wires now window wipers, cruse controll, trac controll will not work and also my abs light comes on sometimes, need help fast, i need to know how much it will cost to get fixed or if i can do it my self?

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
have you checked your fuses?

shanesvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commdore 3.8 v6
yeah the window wiper fuse keep blowing everytime i put a new one it

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Did you drill through the grommet and hit the wires ,or did you cut the grommet with a knife ? Might get away with some electrical tape to stop the live wires touching each other and blowing the fuses

shanesvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commdore 3.8 v6
drilled, i had a guy who said hes done it befor and he cut the wires, do u know if a auto eletrician would be able to fix it? or would it be to hard for them?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I guess you could do it yourself . Maybe get a loom from the wreckers and cut out the damaged piece and solder in the same color wire then use some shrink tube over the join to insulate it ( make sure you put the shrink tube on before you solder the join ). Just make sure you disconnect the battery and take your time I think an auto electrician would charge heaps .

shanesvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commdore 3.8 v6
yeah that sounds good to me, ill get it all apart this weekend and spend all day on it, i think thats the best think i can do atm, because i think a auto sparky will cost way to much

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
your going to have to pull the harness all the way through so you can get to it easy. then cut out the damaged wires and solder in a new piece.
make sure you check every wire for signs of damage.

it will be a big job...

julianvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 3.3 EFI
how did you go with this mate? any luck
I've done the same thing and im going to have a crack at it today.

Stupid mistake, it was only after i did it that i realised there was another unused grommet (the clutch one) nearby.

FML

julianvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 3.3 EFI
I somehow managed to fix it. It involved removing plastic and metal convers under dash, unplugging the bcm and battery, pulling the loom in as much as possible through the firewall, cutting the grommet neatly being sure not to damage any more wires, undoing the electrical tape and inspecting the damage. I had 1 wire completely detached, 1 half gone and one which was just missing a little insulation. i taped up the one with the damaged insulation, and cut the half stuffed one, stripped both ends of the ones that were most damaged, twisted and turned them to reconnect and then....somehow.....i managed to solder while lying down upside down where the pedals are and then i taped them up.

Don't ask me how i pulled it off but i somehow did, and now my electrics work properly again. Depending on how badly damaged the OP's loom is, this job could turn into a complete nightmare as there is so much wiring down there. Mine was only the windscreen washer squirter and the wire that makes the wipers come on automatically when they are squirting.

Good luck to the OP. I managed to avoid a hefty repair bill. Worst case scenario is you would have to pull out most of the dash to disconnect the whole loom then pull it all through the firewall and fix it from the bay. Even worse scenario you would have to literally pull out the whole loom and replace it with another from the wreckers.

Lesson learnt- be careful when drilling through rubber grommets on the firewall and in the case of an auto VT- use the unused grommet where the clutch pedal is meant to go as a means of getting a positive amp cable to the back and not the main ignition.engine loom one!