Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT handbrake???how to tighten????

danteo55

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX2 SS 5.7
just had check done on brakes..front and back pass no problem...but handbrake no good?
had a look under car but can't see where one would tighten cable.which i presume has stretched over time..any help would be awesome :)
cheers
:beer chug:

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
If it is applying even force to both rear wheels, then you just need to tighten it at the handbrake.
You peel the cover back and you will see a nut, you will need a 10mm long socket to adjust it.
I'd get a holden workshop manual on how to do it as you need to do it in a specific way, not just tighten it up and I think you can easily snap your hand brake cable if you do it wrong (tighten it up too much)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hand brake adjustment should be done by the adjustment screw at the hand brake shoes.

danteo55

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX2 SS 5.7
i looked for a how to? but couldn't find..mind you i could be lookin in wrong place lol

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
You have to remove the rear wheels and you will see a rubber plug in the rotors, remove the plug and turn the rotor to the 6 o'clock position. If you have a look in the hole with a torch you will see a notched wheel, using a screw driver or something suitable turn the wheel until the disc won't turn, then turn the wheel the other way for a few notches to release it a bit(release the hand brake lever before you adjust). I can't remember whether you have to turn the wheel up or down, it will be trial and error. If you remove the rotor completely it will be easier to see what I am talking about, but that means removing the calliper as well. You will need both rear wheels off the ground

danteo55

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX2 SS 5.7
You have to remove the rear wheels and you will see a rubber plug in the rotors, remove the plug and turn the rotor to the 6 o'clock position. If you have a look in the hole with a torch you will see a notched wheel, using a screw driver or something suitable turn the wheel until the disc won't turn, then turn the wheel the other way for a few notches to release it a bit(release the hand brake lever before you adjust). I can't remember whether you have to turn the wheel up or down, it will be trial and error. If you remove the rotor completely it will be easier to see what I am talking about, but that means removing the calliper as well. You will need both rear wheels off the ground
yep got it sussed..but it won't turn either way :(.think im gona have to take disc and all off..but yeah took off rubber plug and bobs ya uncle :beer chug: there it was.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
The wheel takes a bit of turning as it's sort of spring loaded so it turns one click at a time. You need to put pressure on the screw driver while you turn the wheel. It takes a bit of getting used to. I bought a special adjustment tool but it won't fit through the hole, maybe they are available in a thinner version, it would make the job easier.
Here is a pic of the tool, it's a bit blurry but you get the idea. It only just occurred to me to grind it down to fit in the hole.

Attachments

• Handbrake adjustment tool 001.jpg
    Handbrake adjustment tool 001.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,662
Last edited:

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
The reason I, or no one hasn't gone into great detail about this is that basically, there is a bit to it.
Draw you attention to the rear (wheels) adjustment of the handbrake when you can't get enough out of the front (handbrake lever) adjustment.
If someone can be bothered copying what the holden workshop manual says about adjusting the handbrake, it will help this man in a big way. (i don't know how to do that with PDF)
You have to release the handbrake, then back off the nut a bit, but there's a bracket in the way, so you will need to use a long 10mm socket, or not fully lock in your ratchet (breaker bar fits better) into the socket and do it that way. you then tighten it to 2nm of torque it says. Don't have a torque wrench or have any idea what that feels like, so it also says that a correctly adjusted handbrake will have 15 - 20mm of thread protruding from the nut.
My car has done over 200,000 km so it is more like 20 - 30mm.
Otherwise, check that the cables are in tact, not snapped (foul play?), they join from 2 seperate cables to 1 about mid way through the length of the car, in the middle, and then disappear into the body.