Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Head Unit Wiring Issue

Le Agony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Howdy!

I've got a '98 VT Commodore Sedan (Acclaim I think). A couple weeks ago, my car was broken into and my headunit, amps, sub and hilariously bootliner (as it was attatched to the sub via a strap) are gone.

Anywho, I'm looking to put something in on a budget, and found a sub and an amp for cheap, and picked up a head unit from Cash Converters today.

I spent about 3 hours trying to install the head unit today. With no success (and that's just trying to get the thing to power up). I wrote the head unit off, and then found out I could hook it straight up to the battery and see, sure thing it turned on.

I rewired the power via the audio loom and still nothing, which leads me to believe it's been damaged OR there's a relevant fuse I'm not aware of within the car. As my friends, the presumably crackhead crooks, yanked it out I'm reasonably certain there is something wrong with the loom, as even when the car is turned on I can't get even a spark out of the wires.

Before I go ripping my dash off with some exploratory surgery to follow, has any body got any pointers in relation to my dilemma? The head unit is a pioneer DEH-3050UB, if that is of any consequence.

Cheers

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
have you checked the fuses under the steering column?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Why didn't you just go to Autobarn and get a patch loom off the shelf..?
Would of taken 30 minutes, not 3 hours.

id hazard a guess and say the previous stereo was wired up without a patch loom and has been torn/cut out when stolen

Le Agony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
have you checked the fuses under the steering column?
I did, however I couldn't see any that pertain to the stereo, and from various amounts of googling with little answer I assumed that the only fuse was on the head unit itself (which is fine). Do yo know of another?

Why didn't you just go to Autobarn and get a patch loom off the shelf..?
Would of taken 30 minutes, not 3 hours.
Well, because I wasn't aware this was a thing until you posted it. I just did a quick search on their site for 'patch loom' and came up dry, can you provide any further information?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
did you check number 23 "radio"? number 16 "radio/cellphone"?

95355d1277014641-99-vt-fuse-diagram-pleeasssee-help-dsc01792.jpg

Le Agony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Yeah, I've checked that one - it's fine, even swapped it for another.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
both of them?

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Hey mate, It sucks having your head unit ripped out - it often does damage you can't even see, as it seems like in your case. If the fuses are ok, then it sounds like they may have damaged the wiring. Might be worth taking to an auto elec, or getting someone who knows a bit about car wiring to take a look. In regards to the 'patch loom', that isn't really the right term. they're actually wiring harness's - they allow you to connect aftermarket stereo's to the stock plugs, without needing to cut/solder. Here is the link to some of them on the supercheap site:

Harnesses - Supercheap Auto Australia

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
This is exactly where a multimeter comes in handy