Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT heater core needs replacing - AC evaporator too??

rantin'n'raven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S 'Charged 6
Hi

It seems like my heater core has packed it in (diagnosed by me here, thankyou JC) - and after chasing around every mechanic in town - the local Holden dealer is the only joint that will touch it! Which is fine, however, I am wary. So wary in fact that I normally send my other half to get works done on the car coz I feel as though they see a chick coming and go "what extras can we throw in that she doesnt really need?". Sounds bad I know, but it has happened to me too many times before. And Im a gal who works in a male dominated industry, and is no way 'scared' of blokes or chauvenism, but I'm not confident enough with the mechanical side of cars to really stand up for myself in this case...

Anyway, enough of the venting, when I asked for a quote to have the heater core replaced, I was advised they would need to purchase 4 items/parts:
1. The heater core (duh)
2. Replacement coolant
3. AC re-gas
4. AC evaporator.

All up for parts and labour (6hrs) $1125.50!!! I was guestimating maybe $800-900...

The reason stated for replacing the AC evap was that "if the heater core is had it, then the AC evaporator probably isn't too far behind". So they may as well do it whilst they are in there?

Does this sound right, or are they having a lend of me??... Any ideas?

Sorry thread is so long!

x S

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
I would say depending on your budget and how long you think you will keep the car for, I would look at getting the evporator done at the same time. Its a really big job and the whole dash has to come out and you probably don't want to have to do this again. I've just had the whole dash and HVAC out and put back in myself, not for this problem though.

The re-gas alone, with new seals and air dryer receiver was $275 from an aircon place.

Jezz

Turrrrbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL/VT
Im in northern subs Melbourne. Ill do a vt commodore dash out heater core replacement properly for $600 including new heater core a/c degas and regas. (a must) Pm me if needed. Hope this helps.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
And the hat-trick, well done.

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
lol very much so

Crammo86

Reaction score
Im in northern subs Melbourne. Ill do a vt commodore dash out heater core replacement properly for $600 including new heater core a/c degas and regas. (a must) Pm me if needed. Hope this helps.

For all those interested, I just got my heater core changed through Turrrrrbo and I am totally satisfied. It was done in 1 day. Dropped it off at 7pm and picked it up 7pm the next day. He even supplied me with a heater tap installed for $40 as I broke the one in my car. Heater works like a charm now and no problems with the dash after it was put back together.

Thanks again Turrrrrbo

Stephandevincentis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hi I have a VT Calais in Thomastown I need heather core call or text me 0421413333

Reactions: Lex