Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Hilux

Mr Henry

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 hilux v6 ecotech
Hi There, the time has come to seek some advice. The project in hand is putting a V6 and auto trans in a off road Hilux, as it is going into a harsh, dusty and damp environment Iwas only taking the bare basic electrics just enough to run the motor, like ecu, fuel pump, efi. Plan A was to remove the computer and wiring harness and anything attached to the motor then plug it all back in once in the Hilux. After pulling bits off the wagon to access the wiring harness I don't think Plan A is a very good plan. the first problem I have is the BCM (surprise) it seems to that every electrical circuit in the car passes through it so will it crack a sad if it does not have the secondary stuff going through it ,all the stuff I don't need like flasher unit, dome light ,cig lighter etc,etc?
The security unit runs through the BCM as well and my understanding is that it collects info be fore it lets the motor start, is it coded to the key and will this cause problems if I use a custom key system?
I think I know the answer to the questions so Plan B is to stop being a tight arse and spend the $900 to$1100 to buy a wiring harness and a BCM simulator.
Is it worth keeping on with Plan A or is it not feasible?

Many thanks Mr Henry

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Plan C is to run the engine computer stand alone and have the Memcal re-flashed with the Vehicle Anti-theft System (VATS) deactivated and then you only have to run some powers, earths and relay controls.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
...off road Hilux ... as it is going into a harsh, dusty and damp environment

with hilux vehicle weight plus 4wd drive train .. cant see a std 460le auto taking that too well

found this footage
Toyota hilux compilation off road 4wd 4x4 mud rocks hill clay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEep9ss2ct8

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
As someone else said above, the 4L60E auto trans is not going to love life in this application. It will last for a short time and then likely it will lose forward drive and leave the Hilux stranded.
The input torque rating of a standard 4L60E auto is only 360 ft-lbs and if large wheels and tires are getting pushed and wedged over rocks and things, the driveline strain will be taken by the poor auto and it will fail really quickly.

I would consider a different gearbox or a different swap into the Hilux- not a VT V6 driveline.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I disagree.

Low range puts less strain on the transmission. Lower gearing on the output shaft means less torque needed to spin it. If you were going to tackle everything in high range, then I'd say change the transmission, but in low range it will be fine.

Think of a 21 speed mountain bike, when using the largest front sprocket, it takes more effort to push the pedals, (your legs being the "engine"), when going down to the smallest front sprocket it takes less effort to push the pedals. The same principle applies to the transmission. When in low range, it takes less effort from the engine to turn the wheels so there is less strain on the transmission.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
im on the side of the 4L60E wont last as you don't allways need low and you'll load it up and break it for a budget project which I gather this is why not try find a motor and box out of a 90 series maybe Im bias as I drive a v6 prado .

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I 4WD a lot, and once off road, very rarely am I out of low range. High range for travelling but low range for the tracks. I have broken diffs, axles, drive shafts, suspension parts, even 2 transfer cases, but never a transmission. And I'm not gentle.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Its gotta be a pretty step track b4 I'd shift to low lock (prado only has low lock no low) Im usually pretty nice so don't give it heaps too often I live in gippsland where the most 4wds in Australia live I only brought a 4wd because everyone else had 1 then I needed mud tyres to stop getting bogged on the front lawn I go out a fair bit, my last HiLux went thru a few gearboxes and transfer cases so far the worst breakage Ive had is the exhaust sticking into the ground and ending up folded under the diff

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I dont see why the gearbox would be a problem, your still only putting the same amount of power into it that it was designed to handle, it will just stall out on the converter before breaking. Maybe run a bigger cooler to keep the temps down as it will be in converter mode 100% of the time off road and most autos fail from overheating not actual breakages.

Jamie_vzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ls1
one of my mates has this set up in his surf trans has been fine,been through a ton of front cv's tho