Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt how to bleed the air from the cooling system ?

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
I always have the front of the car raised when doing this, so i only have to fill the coke bottle small amounts at a time, this is because the radiator fill point will already be sitting higher than the bleed point which eliminates there needing to be a whole litre sitting in in the bottle to make a mess...when im happy with how its all bled i just get someone to raise the revs a little until it sucks the water from the coke bottle into the radiator (as much as it can) and then quickly throw the cap on

Colloin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Here's the surefire and easiest way.

Take the radiator hose off at the thermostat.
Tie it up using a bit of string to the open bonnet.
Get a funnel - stick it in the end of the tied up radiator hose. This gives you a nice big head.
Poor coolant in slowly. There's a small hole in the thermostat that is always open - when a small stream of liquid exits the thermostat, untie the radiator hose, give it a top up and slam it back on the thermostat.

Fill the overflow bottle.
Get car to temp and bleed air using bleed valve.

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
G'day,

I know I am bumping an old discussion, but I just followed the instructions, using a 2 litre coke bottle with the bottom cut out, un-did the bleed screw and ran the car while adding water to the bottle. The process worked a treat, after a few minutes no bubbles appeared from the bleed screw, and all is good in the world!

Thanks for the great tip.

cheers, Gareth

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
best way to bleed these system's or any cooling system is to use a vacuum bleed tool , many production lines have these when it comes time to fill the cooling system , removes all the air then premixed coolant can be added without any air entering the system quickly and without spilling or need to bleed once filled .
Have been using a vacuum tool for the last two years , would recommend these tools and method to anyone .