Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT II Acclaim wagon door and tail gate "creaks" when going over bumps.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
My 99 VT II Acclaim wagon 'squeaks and creaks' when ever I go over bumps, even soft bumps like pulling into and out of my driveway.

Is this a chassis rigidity issue? My VX does not do it at all but that is a sedan and therefore less likely to be affected by tortional chassis movement.
The 4 doors and tail gate a quite noisy and makes the otherwise good car feel like a POS. It does not matter whether it is cold or warm weather.

Was there chassis rigidity improvements with the VX series 1 over the VT 2 or is it more than likely a combination of the wagon chassis shape and worn door and window seals? (lots of country unsealed road km's)

I have tried the vaseline on the door rubbers trick which worked in my old VN sedan. Do other VT wagon owners experience this? And what about VX wagon owners?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
No problems with squeeks here.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, mine probably needs some new door seals and adjustment of the locks.
Great versatile cars these VT wagons, I've only previously owned sedans.
P.S. Love that monkey on your avatar.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
What monkey, that's me. ( just kidding )
Are you sure the noises aren't coming from your suspension? It seem weird that all the doors and tailgate would creak since all the seals are soft rubber.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
There are no issues with squeaks and creak's in my wagon.

Do you have a cargo barrier fitted?

These are a common problem of noise complaints ( squeaks and creak's ), when fitted.

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
Is it a rattle sound?

Under the VT faults section it listes the door seals split, and this creates a rattle. There apparently was a door seal update in 2000 sometime.

My 98 vt sedan, has a split door seal and it rattles terribly. It sort of makes it sound like im in a tuck sometimes. It was a country car and I think the fe2 suspension might not have help as well.

Mine doenst sqeak though, as I said is actually a sedan.

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
Give the sqeaks a blast with WD40.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
I get creaks occassionally on my VX sedan, particularly from my front left door.

I think it could be that the doors are slightly out of alignment and when you go over bumps your chassis is more likely to twist and make it more evident.

Can't be bothered going to get it checked out yet.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
No it is not a rattle, the front driver's door rattles and thumps when I hit a bump too fast but that is because the rubber/plastic coating on the catch where the door striker locks onto has worn out and needs replacement.

This is a creaking sound and is due to the body shell flexing, my old VN was terrible for that.

I tried the wd-40/vaseline trick on the door rubbers but it did not help, I think if I get hold of a T-30 torque driver bit and adjust the door catches inwards a little so that the doors and tail gate close more firmly it may help.

The car came with a cargo barrier but it is not fitted. The car has done 200,000 country km's with lots of unsealed road mileage so this is probably why it rattles more than other VT wagons.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you considered replacing the strikers because when the plastic on them is worn there is quite a bit of play making them rattle.