Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt intermittent temp rise + starting issues.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
You might have a misfiring injector...or two?
Did you buy a NEW radiator cap along with the new thermo? There is no reason why your radiator cap should just blow off unless it's not fitted properly. Something else generally gives because it'll work at the weakest point in the system — which seemed like your radiator cap.
Crackling from the engine after the steam pored out shouldn't be too much to worry about. I'd suppose it was water sizzling. I've seen it on my car. But only once and the engine was hot that time.

When did you fill it up with water? Had the car cooled down enough? Was it cold water? Did you mix coolant with it? If not you could have damaged something — anything.
Take a shot of your engine bay with the video. Get someone else to give your engine a rev or two in the middle. Take about 30sec—1min video.

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
Please pull your spark plugs and take a photo. Upload it to here.
The diagnosis is pretty simple from there.
It's either gonna be headgasket or intake manifold gaskets.
You've run the car into the hot a few times now so it wouldn't surprise me of the heads are cracked now as well.

Really you should have taken the car to a garage a week ago..

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
You might have a misfiring injector...or two?
Did you buy a NEW radiator cap along with the new thermo? There is no reason why your radiator cap should just blow off unless it's not fitted properly. Something else generally gives because it'll work at the weakest point in the system — which seemed like your radiator cap.
Crackling from the engine after the steam pored out shouldn't be too much to worry about. I'd suppose it was water sizzling. I've seen it on my car. But only once and the engine was hot that time.

When did you fill it up with water? Had the car cooled down enough? Was it cold water? Did you mix coolant with it? If not you could have damaged something — anything.
Take a shot of your engine bay with the video. Get someone else to give your engine a rev or two in the middle. Take about 30sec—1min video.

I did buy a new radiator cap, it doesn't seem to want to fit properly though unless i put a lot of pressure on it. Seems a bit dodgy though, so ill replace it. My engine was hot too, so i guess water sizzling would probably explain that lol.

And i waited about 30-40 mins or so after pulling over until the engine cooled right down before putting water in it, it was just tap water. I just wanted to get it home. Although, when it did overheat last week when i was getting something out of the boot my mate had attempted to pour water in it while it was still hot :(

And ill upload a video of the engine bay shortly :)

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Please pull your spark plugs and take a photo. Upload it to here.
The diagnosis is pretty simple from there.
It's either gonna be headgasket or intake manifold gaskets.
You've run the car into the hot a few times now so it wouldn't surprise me of the heads are cracked now as well.

Really you should have taken the car to a garage a week ago..

Ill get on that now and ill upload a pics of plugs shortly. I wish i took it to the garage earlier, i just had no time because of work lol. I took it in today though, i showed my mechanic the video and he said straight away 'cracked head'. Although he was busy and didn't actually have a chance to actually check it out. So in my mind i don't want to rule out the manifold gaskets. He will be doing a compression test this Friday, so ill know for sure then.

And thanks dumpedvs ill go over the vacuum lines as well, i checked the heater tap and visually it seems to be ok.

Thanks again for all the replies guys :)

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore