Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Key won't turn

adamlacy

Reaction score
My Vt key won't turn in the ignition at all, I have tried turning the wheel at the same time but still no movement what so ever, any help?

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Its your ignition barrel mate cost bugger all to fix

just replaced mine, very annoying when they lock up on you.

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
A new barrel is about $50. It must be quite common for these to fail because I replaced the one in my VT and now the one in my present car is in need of replacing. If I turn the ignition off and then try and turn it on again it won't turn unless I remove the key first and then put it back in.

heti..-VT-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive '97'
ignition barrel

im havin the same trouble theres a springed button thing that pushes up after time it will fail to do so. once the key is inserted just get sumthin thin n hard as not to bend n push it in/up while the key is in the ignition and jiggle the key bak n foward n it should turn. note- makes things hard when steering lock is on ...and once the key is taken out it will lock up again

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
i had the same troubel about 2 weeks ago

you might find, if you pull the key in and out fast while pushing forward that it will turn

you can get a barrel off ebay (with 2 keys) for $40 and fitting it yourself is a 15 minute job

thats what i did

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
if i dont want to use ebay , where else might i get a barrell for a vt series 1 berlina? and how do you change them ?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
if i dont want to use ebay , where else might i get a barrell for a vt series 1 berlina? and how do you change them ?
You can get one from Holden. I would recommend you also get a Gregory's workshop manual for step by step instructions on how to change the barrel. You might find a how to here somewhere.

-Michael-

Ooh Yeah.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
I just went to dibble locksmiths.

$90 and they re keyed the barrel so i used my old keys

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
for future reference,

on a VT/VX to replace the barrel

you remove the steering column surround,

remove the plastic surround that sits on the ignition barrel (has the green bulb in it)

put the key into the "on" position

you will notice a small hole on the very top of the barrel, get a small allen key ( < 3 mm) & insert into that hole while pulling on the key, barrel will slide out

to install the new barrel, again . put key in the new barrel into the "on" position, line it up wth the various grooves (it can only go one way) and slide it in, ensuring the key stays in the on pos,

its very easy

chrism182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 ltr M6
If I turn the ignition off and then try and turn it on again it won't turn unless I remove the key first and then put it back in.

Isn't this how its supposed to be, as in a security feature? Cause mine does the same thing and the guy who sold it to me thought it was a security feature.