Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT kicking over but won't start - Possible fuel problem

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
So the other night i was driving home when my car decided to stall on me at about 60km. Now it kicks over but does not want to fire up. It's duel fuel and i rarely run it on petrol maybe once a month to keep the injectors wet (It doesn't start on LPG either). The starter motor was replaced literally 2 weeks ago. I was thinking something as little as the fuel filter since i have not had that changed in god knows how long and it might be blocked. When i turn the ignition i can hear that it is priming but for weeks prior to this the fuel pump was making an unusual loud buzzing noise.

Anyone know what this might be?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
if its duel fuel it can still start on gas cycle just takes a bit longer as they start on petrol first. has your petrol tank always had fuel. have you checked ya fuses , also check ya duel fuel computer see if its powering up. chuck in a spare plug in ya leads to see if ya getting spark. another thing could be ya crank angle sensor. also see if ya regulator gas valves are working .

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
Well it's always had a minimal amount of fuel in it, i mean like 10 litres or so. I put another 10 litres in but still nothing. Admittedly, i have neglected the fuel system given that i hardly use fuel, only LPG but the fuel pump is not even that old maybe 2 years, injectors have been replaced in recent time too.
What is a sign that it's the crank angle sensor caz i was told that by someone else too. I'll be checking all fuses etc very soon.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
one thing you should always have around quarter of tank , crank angle are known problem when they get hot they usually stop because they fail , but usually start when cold again, that's why I say check all ya fuses and relays relating to your ignition and duel fuel system , when you turn the key can u hear a click noise.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
you have to narrow it down to electrical or fuel , can be a lot of things , dfi, coil, spark plug, leads , fuse , sensor , and was like stated . good luck. also oxy sensors but my bet be on the crank angle sensor.

Last edited:

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
oh to get at your crank sensor its behind ya harmonica balancer very hard to remove. also make sure ya check the engine bay fuses and relays.

lanceb12013

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP/VR OWNER
One other common prob is the main plug to your coil pack. Had similar prob where car just died while driving, wiggled coil pack plug and it started then conked. Undid 10mm bolt and used small screwdriver to close electrical contacts in plug, refitted,tightened bolt and havent had a prob since, may not be your prob but ya never know, cheers

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
One other common prob is the main plug to your coil pack. Had similar prob where car just died while driving, wiggled coil pack plug and it started then conked. Undid 10mm bolt and used small screwdriver to close electrical contacts in plug, refitted,tightened bolt and havent had a prob since, may not be your prob but ya never know, cheers

that's true the dfi harness on the odd occasion have issues .

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
I'm having this problem aswell on my brothers VT V6, his is only Petrol though.
I replaced crank angle sensor and it still has the problem of starting and after gets warm it then stalls and can't start again.

I'll do my checks of what others have said and I'll reply with my outcome result.

Also just want to know if yours is starting at all? Like when engine is cold...Does it even start on gas?