Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT knock / click from engine/steering

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Calling all commodore gods.

Keen to know your opinions, my VT has a knocking/clicking noise, primarily when I take off or turn a corner at lower speeds.

It feels like a steering rack issue perhaps but then I read up about engine mounts....

The cars done 290,000 and has been well looked after however rack hasn't been done in a long time.... If ever, I'll need to check logbook.

If you have an idea of what this might be id love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks in advance team!!

Cheers

Ash

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Is it definitely coming from the front of the car. If it is, its probably a bush/suspension issue. Is it a repetitive clicking or just one solid clunk?

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Thanks for your reply,

Definitely front end, feels like low front end.... Happens as often when going straight as it does around corners. Low speed typically....

If it's a bush which bush do you think it might be? Did the control arms etc a few months back but should all be nice and tight still...

Could it be an engine mount noise?

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
No i cant see an engine mount causing that sort of a noise. Jack the car up and go over everything to check for movement. Could even be the ball joints on the end of the steering rack

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
How many k's on the dial?

At slow speeds (bit over walking speed), get a friend to help, creep it forward and hit the brakes, get them to watch the front wheel(s), do they move back alot in the wheel arch?

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
290k now, she's getting on!

The noise is normally a clunk or couple it little clunks. Bit clicky after bigger clunks sometimes. Haha sounds stupid but that's the best way to describe it!

Ok great thanks for your link, I had replace all the front end bushes 6 months ago, but not the struts. Perhaps I need to tightened them... Would the ball joints make that much of a noise on the steering rack?

Is a noise like this dangerous to drive around on?

Thanks for the help guys

D

devilly

if it's the steering rack it will feel heavier when driving it and make a whining sound,check fluid colour and level.

check out the noises it makes as you slowly go over a speed bump.thinking struts need replacing.

also when on flat level ground have a look at the distance from wheel tread to guard,check both front wheels ,i'll try and give you a pic to explain this.

heres the pic so you just see in these spots how many fingers you can stick in and then check the other side :)

this is the picture of when i worked out it was moving toward the front of car and found front bush split in half.

Attachments

• rim measurments.JPG
    rim measurments.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 207
Last edited by a moderator:

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Link pins are cactus check the top especially bottom bush they magically dissapear after breaking

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Thanks guys, I'll check her out tomorrow and if need be swap the bushes out... Bloody wheel alignments though... Wish I could do that myself!