Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt l67 oil pressure light

Andrepittams

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu
Since buying my vt l67 I’ve had issues with the oil sensor light it would pop after every now and then, at first I checked the sensor and replaced it as it had oil coming through onto the plug and shrink wrapped the cable as it was a little damaged. The oil light went away for a week or two of just cruising around but found that it comes up after putting my foot down and going higher revs and the the car starts acting up and make a lifter tick noise quite loud but then goes back to normal after Turing it off and on

It has fresh oil and oil filter but I didn’t drop the pan to check inside, could this be a clogged oil pick up or a worn down oil pump issue?

Other things I’d like to note is the oil level is on full make line so its not low or has to much

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
could this be a clogged oil pick up or a worn down oil pump issue
certainly appears that way
can you get a borescope and look in the drain plug hole at the pickup
also look in oil filler cap for signs of sludge from poor service history

turbotrana

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt vn ea ed lx e39
I have had a L67 since new. Always changed the oil at 10000km. Has done 250000km and for the last 100000km I would get the oil beep and dash light usually close to the 10000km engine oil change time. It would be a little low on oil by 10000km so I thought the problem related to this. At my last oil change it was doing the light/beep quite a bit in certain conditions like when you come to a quick stop( the oil had been topped up so not low this time). So I changed the oil and filter and all good. I decided to cut open the oil filter and it was full of black crud which clearly blocked the filter. I cut open the next oil filter at 5000km and there was a bit of black crud in it. There were NO metal bits at all. I have several theories. I had never changed the inlet gasket till about 10k km ago and always topped the water up every week a little and would add the GM coolant sealant tablets. I am thinking either the coolant tablets or something in the coolant mixes in the oil to create the crud that blocks the filter. I have cut open oil filters from other engines and never seen this small black crud. In anycase looks like I will be changing the filter every 5000km. I have done the inlet manifold gaskets and not loosing any water atm. My next step was to drop the sump to check the oil inlet pipe but this is not necessary as clearly when the filter is blocked the pump struggles to suck oil. When you stop quickly with low oil, the pickup is uncovered momentarily and because it is so hard to suck the oil thru a blocked filter it takes sometime to build the pressure up again. Hope this helps someone.

I could see a situation where the crud has blocked the inlet pickup so it may be a sump off job. You could also try the engine flush stuff but have never used them but do believe soaking the bottom of the inside of the sump with some good degreaser without running the engine would have been my next step.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex