Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT L67 Phantom Starting Problem

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
do you have good spark on all plugs
what is your long term fuel trim at

No spark on plugs 1 and 3. Those are the two leads that shock me when holding them near headers to test for spark. Tried new leads, new coil and new ignition module no difference.

Purge canister I would presume sometimes throws a code 97 error and is simple enough to replace

Is that the same as an Ecotec one? Haven't tried changing that yet although unlikely to disable a whole car it is a possibility.

How's the fuel filter n spark plugs? No mention of changing them?

Plugs replaced 15,000km ago, don't have spark on 2 cylinders before even getting to the plugs. Fuel filter I haven't changed but fuel pressure to engine bay is normal.

crank angle sensor.

Tried a new one and a second hand one off a known running motor.

Might be your fuel pressure regulator. Get a pressure gauge and tee it to the delivery line and check fuel pressure is to spec. Compression , fuel and spark....

Fuel pressure is good. Tried an entire fuel rail and injectors off a known running L67.

I had a same problem with my v6 and turn out to be a simple loose plug on one of the sensors was not click on all the way.it drove me mad for 2days trying to fix it to.

Which sensor was it mate? Only ones I haven't unplugged and plugged back in are oxygen sensors, knock sensors, purge solenoid and coolant temp. Everything else has been unplugged and re-plugged when swapping parts.

I have just tried ECU BCM and key from a VT Exec (Ecotec) both with the L67 memcal and with the Ecotec memcal which also made no difference. Also checked and both heads have path to earth block has path to earth and charger has path to earth. Have tried changing relays around to no avail also.

A Holden dealer has asked for my car to be displayed at their 20th birthday celebration so would really like to get this running. I am also considering selling it so not having to pay rego again in December would be a bonus.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
change your plugs,
if you are getting a decent shock you have voltage at the leads
swap plugs to another position and see if problem follows plugs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Supercharged
What ended up happening with ya Vt Mate, was there any resolution. The reason I aak I'm having similar trouble with mine. The motor is an L67, out of a VS Statesman. I put it in my VS Executive. I replaced the 4L60 transmission with a 4L60E out of a VT, stronger box and higher ratio, I was told. Had the engine running, but running rough. Like the timing was out and wouldn't go into gear. Changed everything I could think of, like you did, but can't get bloody thing to start again. It cranks, its getting spark, getting fuel. I turn the ignition on and it sounds like its going to turn over, but no, backfire sometimes when I turn the ignition off.

Chilli_Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX XU6
Excuse the thread dig but for future reference I had a similar issue with my XU6, 2 issues and both caused by the DFI connector.
The connector itself was cracked with would cause the regular no start/stall.
I also had a burnt pin that caused a missfire that I couldn’t find.
You’ll need to splice in a new connector, if pins are burnt replace DFI as well because it’ll be burnt too.
Even though that connector is earthed, the outside pins give up with age.
Hopefully this might save someone else a future headache.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Excuse the thread dig but for future reference I had a similar issue with my XU6, 2 issues and both caused by the DFI connector.
The connector itself was cracked with would cause the regular no start/stall.
I also had a burnt pin that caused a missfire that I couldn’t find.
You’ll need to splice in a new connector, if pins are burnt replace DFI as well because it’ll be burnt too.
Even though that connector is earthed, the outside pins give up with age.
Hopefully this might save someone else a future headache.

The burnt pins are always a hidden issue if you don't know where to look,

Slightly off thread Topic -
I had a similar issue on my VE fuel pump 18 months ago, where its would not start all of a sudden.
I checked everything from front to back and decided to drop the tank, [which is not an easy task by yourself, I have a thread on how to do it]
And it was a burnt pin in the top of the pump and the connector.
I had to wait for 3 days to get a "tank loom" that was approx. $300,
But went to a wreckers and got a LS1 Tank loom, and cut the tank plug off that loom and spliced it on to my existing loom.
Put it all back together and the wouldn't start first turn of the key every time.
Then found out the Fuel pump Repco sold me wasnt the correct one and compatible for a L77
So I found a guy selling a NEW OEM Fuel Pump Unit,
So out the Tank comes again [by my self again], replaced the after market one with the OEM Unit, Re-assembled it the following day,
and the rest is history,
Has not faulted since.

Last edited: