Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT L67 Phantom Starting Problem

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
I have a 1997 VT SS with the L67 supercharged V6 engine. This car has been driving me crazy with a starting issue that I just can't find. I'm going to post in order everything that I have done to the car to eliminate the problem and I'd really appreciate input that could help me find this issue.

1. Car always ran rough when first started on a cold morning (as you would expect with a vacuum leak or slightly blocked injectors).
2. Moved it twice in my driveway and it ran really rough (as though it was running on 5 cylinders)
3. Went to start it again and it repeatedly turned over, occasionally firing but not actually starting and running.
4. Checked operation of immobilizer and confirmed with my Tech 2 that immobilizer is being turned off correctly. (plus immobilizer cuts out the cranking).
5. Changed the battery to one with full charge. Car still turned over and fired every five to ten seconds but didn't actually start or run.
6. Hooked up my Tech 2. No current faults but had a CAM angle sensor in history.
7. Changed the CAM sensor with one off a known running car. Tried the sensor off the SS on the other car with no problem.
8. Swapped MAF sensors between the SS and a known running car, no change.
9. Unclipped top fuel hose and turned the ignition on. Fuel pressure seemed fine (fuel shot to the radiator support, same as the other car).
10. Tried starting the car with throttle open 100% to eliminate idle air control valve
11. Fitted a brand new crank angle sensor. No change
12. Tried a DFI module and coil packs off a know running car. No change.
13. Tried holding leads close to headers to check for spark. 4 hard spark, 2 shocked me. Changed those leads and the coil packs and this still happened so assumed it wasn't an issue.
14. Tried crank angle sensor off a known running car to eliminate the new one I bought being faulty.
15. Tried 6 injectors off a known running car. No change. Didn't change fuel rail though as the top bolt was rounded.
16. Inspected vacuum system. Found 2 hoses missing near supercharger coupling (these had been missing since I bought it though which is probably why it ran like **** on cold mornings). Changed everything over from running car which made no difference.
17. Changed all relays (including headlights, power windows, heated windows etc) from a known running car.

So can anybody please help me? I'm at my wits end with this car I'm about to literally wreck it the only thing stopping me is that it's a factory L67 SS and still in rego. Only thing I can still think of is changing the fuel tank to eliminate bad fuel (I fueled up not too long before it died) but I really don't think that would cause it not to run at all. Is the leads shocking me when I hold them against the headers something that indicates a fault?

I will note that I HAVENT changed the plugs and leads (apart from the two leads that I was getting shocked by) however these were changed about 15,000km ago with good quality parts.

Input would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Mick

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Well, you've just about done everything under the sun, so imo, I'd be concentrating on the leads and plugs.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You mention that you got a camshaft signal error code, I had problems with my VS (N/A) V6 misfiring and running heaps crook and stalling etc, when I checked the codes I got code 48- camshaft angle sensor fault-no signal. The sensor itself was working fine when tested on another engine, so I checked to see if I could see the camshaft sensor pickup magnet, which is located in the camshaft sprocket, and the magnet was missing. I had to remove the timing cover to replace the pickup magnet. Remove the cam sensor and look in through the hole with a torch to see if you can see the pickup magnet in the cam sprocket, you may have to rotate the engine by hand to get the pickup magnet lined up with the sensor hole so it can be seen. Ive since read that over in the USA, some people glue this magnet in place in this engine so it cant fall out..
Ive also had problems with the purge cannister solenoid causing the engine to mnisfire badly and run crook for the first 30 seconds or so, whenever it was started from dead cold, but it wouldnt do it at all once it had been running..It took me ages to find this problem, I finally got error code 97(cannister solenoid problem) setting, so I replaced the purge cannister solenoid and the cold start misfire went away completely as soon as it was replaced. It just might be worth checking these 2 things out as you seem to have checked everrything else.
I would also definitley replace the plug leads, as these can cause misfiring, and they dont last very long with todays engines using the extremely high voltages that they run in the EFI ignition systems, its not like it was years ago with the points and coil setups where a set of plug leads would literally last for years. I replace the leads every 18 to 24 months or so, as they start to lose some of their performance after this, which then effects the economy/performance of the vehicle.(i like to keep my cars running absolutely perfect).

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Cheers for the replies guys I will try the plugs and leads when I get some time.

Quickly pulled the cam sensor off today and I think the magnet is still in position (is there only the one?)

3uvaze3y.jpg

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
do you have good spark on all plugs
what is your long term fuel trim at

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt s-pack supercharged
Purge canister I would presume sometimes throws a code 97 error and is simple enough to replace

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
How's the fuel filter n spark plugs? No mention of changing them?

LAZY SIX

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s1 calais sc6
crank angle sensor.

RT300

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
Might be your fuel pressure regulator. Get a pressure gauge and tee it to the delivery line and check fuel pressure is to spec. Compression , fuel and spark....

customholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon cross fc wagon
I had a same problem with my v6 and turn out to be a simple loose plug on one of the sensors was not click on all the way.it drove me mad for 2days trying to fix it to.