Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT LCD odometer display

sneezy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
Ok I'm slowly working through the issues with this car.....the next on the list is the odometer display. The lcd sometimes does/part of/none works at differing times. Actually since its been in my back yard it can be hardly seen at all. Now I know these can be repaired and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of someone preferably over in the western subs of Melb.
At this stage I don't want to just replace it as the car has only done 150,000 kms so finding one from a wrecker with a similar amount of kms may be a problem. I haven't looked into the replacing side of things yet as I'll check the repair options first.

Thanks for any help
sneezy

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
If it is the LCD screen that needs replacing only, u dont need another cluster 2 have matching ODO readings as they dont get stored on the LCD screen itself so it'll change 2 ur own ODO reading.

sneezy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
ok....so can I buy an LCD screen from someone and replace it myself or does it need a technician to do it?
And where can you get a screen from? Sorry for all the q's....

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry i meant needing a replacment cluster but u can use a 2nd hand clusters LCD screen which might b the easier way 2 go, im not sure where these can b bought brand new seperate. But yeah u can do it urself if ur confident enough on stripping the cluster. its all plug n play just make sure if u get a 3 window LCD screen use the centre screen as u would if u got a single LCD screen cluster. The needles r the only thing u gotta b carful with.

if u find urself a VT cluster with a white back housing and replacing the LCD screen doesnt work at least u can use the cluster then as these can b re calibrated 2 suit ur original ODO readings at any stage.

sneezy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
ok wrx884, I found an instrument cluster on ebay, so if I was to buy it, remove the lcd side of it and put in mine, then it should read my kms? Or have I got it all wrong lol.....

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats right, Tho u may wanna try giving ur own LCD screens contacts a clean with alchol wen u open it up, somtimes thats all they need as they r making poor contact but not always the case.

southaussie

Family Guy
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Executive 97
try just checking the screws that hold the instrument cluster insides into the backing of the cluster....
you will have to take the clear, black and internal covers off off the front by the clips then you will see there is 4 hex screws that can be tightened by a flat head if you dont have one and if they are loose they wont be holding it down firm enough to activate the 2 sections of the lcd display. let me know how you go !

sneezy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
Fixed!!!!!! Well at the moment it works. I haven't checked all the functions as yet cause I've only plugged the cluster back in and left it like that. Just in case it stops working overnight. All I did was take the cluster out, disassembled it till I was able to get at the LCD part, cleaned all the connections with an alcohol wipe and re-assembled. I'm not eliminating the possibility of it being an issue that I read here about the earthing between the seat back to seat base tho.......I should have just unplugged the cluster and then plugged it back in after a while to see if anything changed.

Anyways, I check it again tomorrow before I put all the rest of the stuff back together. Re the hex screws, there was 5 of them and they were all tight.

regards,
sneezy.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
good new sneezy, it is fairly common 4 these contacts 2 go like that which is y in the vy/vz's they started stoldering them in place 2 stop this.

sneezy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
fun may not be over yet...parts of the display already look a bit faded......best I get it in for a roadworthy asap!!!