Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT locks intermittently acting up

SS_SUPER6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT super6 SS
as the title suggests guys i have a VT SS commodore and my locks are playing up. i replaced the battery, BCM and battery terminals and their still acting funny

99% of the time everything works beautifully, but maybe once or twice a week they stop working altogether and i gotta climb in through the boot- embarrassing!

the BCM works mint and was coded by a tech2 scanner and i have a brand new key fob to go with it
checked the charging system and there's plenty of trickle going into the battery as the car runs

also probably worth mentioning the actuators are in fine working order and the interior light also comes on when the locks work, but on the occasion they don't work nor does the light. so obviously there's a problem with receiving the signal somewhere along the lines but due to being only an occasionally occurring issue it will be an absolute pain locating it!

any ideas/suggestions as to where i start hunting this problem down? any ideas?
sick to death of fixing electrical bugs in this car, i may even just get a sparky to do it, so estimated labor and costings for the ideas would be much appreciated

cheers
SS_SUPER6 (jordan)

D

devilly

middle of dash closest to front window is a remote receiver.give it a clean with this or take it out and give it a good clean,mine had cobwebs inside it. :)

Attachments

• plastic x.JPG
    plastic x.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 218

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
why do u have to crawl through the boot? when this happens u cant unlock the doors manually either?

my l67 I got does somthing similar every now and then, I haven't replaced a thing yet tho but I find it can sometimes randomly unlock itself (not just lock with no response) and sometimes it will also release the boot lock randomly but ive found before I drive the car anywhere I unlock the car with the remote 1st and leave it sit for say 5 mins before I start the car and drive away, for some reason when I do this I get no issues. If the car gets the locking issue not being able to lock the car and while I'm driving I notice the interior light always stays on and u cant turn it off unless u manually turn it off which is weird lol.

so interested to see what this thread comes up with.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
I wonder if a bung door switch could cause it...

SS_SUPER6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT super6 SS
@devilly is it really that simple? lol i can only hope you are wrong because i have an auto electrician coming to sort it out and that's be embarrassing!

@wrx884 because VT door locks are sh!t man. you gotta force it and idk if mine's working. seems quite rough.

mine doesn't randomly lock and unlock anything so i dare say we got different problems mate. with you i'd say it may be radio interference, i mean holden coded every bcm in existence but they made a quarter of a million of them, correct me if i'm wrong but if a neighbour had a vt with the same code it could potentially be setting both the cars off?

@turtl3 i doubt it? i don't think the door-lock switches really have anything to do with the locking system? if their anything like the switches in the bootlid their pretty simple and indestructible, however i may check them tomorrow for functionality, thanks for the heads up

i'm pretty gumpy at computer sh!t, i'm sure there's a much more effective way to reply to you guys but i haven't figured it out yet lol sorry guys

SS_SUPER6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT super6 SS
also: how hard is this receiver to replace? just incase?

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
A dodgy door sensor would explain the light staying on....and im pretty sure the car wont lock if one of the doors is still open...so if the sensor is saying its open but the door is actually closed....

D

devilly

also: how hard is this receiver to replace? just incase?

easy to start from passenger door and work your way into the middle of the dash,to get to the receiver.

personal i first would give it a clean ontop of receiver, make sure if you got dash carpet that it is not blocking the signal

then i would be getting some wd40 and spraying down the door lock the mech for lights to turn on and off when opening door's and also the key barrel's.hold door handles up and spray down inside as well on all 4 doors.

then in the boot is a werid motor thingo i would also be spraying that.when lifting the boot you can see it underneath.

that way you know every thing is closing and shutting properly and rule a few things out.

and not cost any thing other then a can of spray :)

if all that doesn't solve it then i would be looking into the bcm body control module.

hope you fix it :)

SS_SUPER6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT super6 SS
what do you mean start from the passenger door and work into the middle of the dash? do you mean like remove the side panel and shove my hands in there? and i already did the BCM so if it ain't the switch i'm pretty much screwed :/

also, is the receiver located in the gap between the two plastic front panels on the dash? because all i see is a flat black piece of plastic, do i legit just wipe that?

D

devilly

quote : is the receiver located in the gap between the two plastic front panels on the dash?

yes that's the place, just give it a wipe over if you need to take it out easiest to pull down from passenger side glove box end and then work to the middle.

drives side is alot harder to pull down and very annoying as you have the steering wheel in your stomach as your trying to work.

from memory the panels are push and click ,so you would need to carefully pull then off.just get a diagram of the dash and you'll work it out :)