Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt loses power under acceleration, shudders/struggles to pick up speed...

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
in the last week ive been having some drama's with my car its a VT V6 auto, im not sure whats going on but it seems to struggle under acceleration...very noticeable when going uphill put my foot down to give it some and its as though it has wet spark plugs - shudders as it picks up speed...but when coasting along its fine!!!! its only when you give it some that it shudders...

im thinking it could be the fuel pump playing up? as in not being able to pump enough fuel through when you accelerate up to speed???

though when i was coasting along i put it in neutral and gave it a few revs and it doesnt happen...its only when its in drive. could this be a sign that the gearbox could be the fault?

or should i be replacing spark plugs and leads? coil pack?

im stumped, so any help is heaps appreciated

cheers

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Sounds like plug leads to me. Very common problem

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
plug leads hey. will look into getting new leads this week n see if it still has this shudder problem....i hope its only plug leads..

Finnrizell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Mate my vt is doin the exact same thing please tell me u figured it out???

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
My VT was doing the same thing and I just noticed that this thread is 4 months old. Have you fixed the problem yet?

Finnrizell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Grahem mate mine is doin the same thing do u kno tha problem is?I've changed the Fuel filter the plugs leads coil packs and module MAF and it is still shuddering??

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
check the injector o-rings are ok. maybee air is sucking in through the bases.

Finnrizell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Tha fuel injectors ay?? Have u fixed it's mate?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id say it would be the plugs,leads or if they are ok,one of the 3 ignition coils.These coils can run fine with no misfire or spluttering until they get put under load (going uphill or when accelerating fairly hard) then they can break down and cause the misfiring or spluttering.You can test the 3 coils with a multimeter,but Ive seen them show to be ok,but still cause misfiring. I keep a spare new coil just for testing purposes,just get the good coil,and swap it with the 3 coils ,one at a time, and drive it each time,if the problem goes away,then that coil that was removed is the problem.Its best to replace all 3 coils at the same time.Ive found fitting 3 new coils makes a big difference to the starting ,running ,and fuel economy,even when the coils are not faulty and are just old.They must slowly loose their performance over time until they get to a point where they die and cause mifiring.

Finnrizell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
I've already swapped the whole coil packs and module wit 1 frm a VS I ave sittin ere it still doin it ay I dnt get it I'm thinkin fuel blockage ay would that course misfiring under pressure like it is ay