Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt loses power under acceleration, shudders/struggles to pick up speed...

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Alternator regulator would be the first thing i would check

Stinger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Have the same problem with my V6 Supercharged 2000 model Calais.

Last time i had something similar happen was when i had a VQ statesman turned out to be the fuel filter in the fuel tank on its last legs got a new filter installed and it didnt cough and splutter up hills anymore.

regards George

States8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Super 6 Statesman
Im having problems with my WH Super 6... Ruff idle and running rich also loss of power under load. From the threads Seems to be common in these engines. I have cleaned out MAF and fuel regulator. No change! I'm leaning towards 02 sensors for some reason, so gunna start the elimination process there.
Looking for anyone who has had same problems, where do they recommend I go next..

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Not likely O2 sensors. Start by replacing the dfi module and coils, along with new plugs and leads. Check for vacuum leaks too.

States8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Super 6 Statesman
Not likely O2 sensors. Start by replacing the dfi module and coils, along with new plugs and leads. Check for vacuum leaks too.

Thanks mate, Leads and plugs are only a few months old so I sorta ticked that of my list. I'll check both and maybe start with coils.
Keep you updated..

States8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Super 6 Statesman
Ok guys, thanks for the help. Went through all vacuum lines. Replace coils checked leads/plugs (coil module had been arching between each other), no change. change, Changed leads and plugs, no change. Got hold of a new MSD ignition set (Coils/plugs/leads) at right price. Problem Gone..with cleaner acceleration than before.

In need of a good tune now!
Anyone have any suggestions?

D

devilly

Hi i have a vt series 2 supercharged 1999.it cut out completely at100k and is now completely dead. There was an electrical smell also..any ideas please

i would be checking the back of the alternator/starter motor and finding the source of the melted wires before driving it.

jimmy1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
I bought vs couple years back it had issues the positive wire from battery to alternater had caught fire cause faulty alternater which is apparently common cause of VS VT engine fire. Only from what I've read in Holden factory recall notices for vs VT, VT alternater was upgraded but I think the wiring was left same which also should have been upgraded as can catch fire and burn out. I also found that the starter motor positive wire was squashed between sump and engine support frame. Possibly from engine mount replacement, would advise checking those wires to prevent possible engine fires. The loss of power under hard ecceleration could be crank angle sensor but would also cause stall under idle speed

Cal Graham

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Ss 1998
in the last week ive been having some drama's with my car its a VT V6 auto, im not sure whats going on but it seems to struggle under acceleration...very noticeable when going uphill put my foot down to give it some and its as though it has wet spark plugs - shudders as it picks up speed...but when coasting along its fine!!!! its only when you give it some that it shudders...

im thinking it could be the fuel pump playing up? as in not being able to pump enough fuel through when you accelerate up to speed???

though when i was coasting along i put it in neutral and gave it a few revs and it doesnt happen...its only when its in drive. could this be a sign that the gearbox could be the fault?

or should i be replacing spark plugs and leads? coil pack?

im stumped, so any help is heaps appreciated

cheers
I had this problem with my vn v6. Ended up being the harmonic balancer & crank angle sensor changed it and she ran like a beast

Frankiee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vx commodore v6
Hey guy I got a vs commodore car runs fine but when I put my for down it got no power how do I fix it has any one else had same problem and fix it