Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT losing power upon acceleration

Almighty vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT spac
Hi all, have an annoying problem with
My car (1999 VT commodore) wouldn't start the other day unless I pushed the accelerator while turning the key, after it started if I let my foot off the accelerator the car would stall, I held it at 1k revs (idle revs when cold) for a minute and let off to see it was holding idle on like 200 revs so really struggling.

Left it 5 minutes then it started fine and has been since but it's caused a new problem.... If I'm driving I lose power, as in I'm doing 100km go to put my foot down and it holds back (you can feel it grab itself then itll let go and grab again) only does it sometimes not all the time.

Also does it when taking off sometimes, it's so annoying and has me stumped. I've replaced the following, leads, plugs, coil pack. So it's not weak Spark. Also replaced, tps sensor, throttle body, new K&n air filter so it's not air either now the next thing is fuel... all Ive done is replace the fuel filter. The fuel pump also buzzes really loudly.

If you've ever driven a manual commodore with traction control and dump the clutch it grabs itself, that's what my car's doing except it's auto no traction control and also only when trying to speed up. Any help would be amazing...

Sorry that it's a long read. TIA

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sound like a vacuum or Intake issue, check your Vacuum hoses, IAV or MAF meter could be faulty, check the connectors, they are a common reason why they wont idle.

Almighty vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT spac
So it's still doing it, like it starts first time everytime drives but still does that gutless no power thing, it's really weird and has be stumped, it's a different motor as we replaced the old one due to doing a head gasket and yeah now I have this problem instead

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
So it's still doing it, like it starts first time everytime drives but still does that gutless no power thing, it's really weird and has be stumped, it's a different motor as we replaced the old one due to doing a head gasket and yeah now I have this problem instead

Same motor type motor ?,
Have you check if there are any codes ?

HSVBMW

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh vn vt
If fuel tank is below half full, fill to 3/4 to rule out fuel return line issues. You said pump is loud which means the fuel pot the pump sits in is empty causing fuel starvation. Above half a tank fills pot and solves problem until you can drop tank and fix internal line.

HSVBMW

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh vn vt
Also make sure your fuel filter is fitted the right direction, fuel pressure regulator is working properly (fuel in vacuum hose means diaphram toast),ignition module working when hot, crank angle sensor, coolant temp sensor....etc...etc

Almighty vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT spac
Same motor type, fuel filter is on the right way, also found a bad earth, one that the battery terminal earth's off was loose, tightened that up now to see if it fixed the problem, thanks giys

Almighty vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT spac
Also getting codes 12 22 32 and 76.

I know the codes but will see if it still does the thing after fixibg the ground wires

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also getting codes 12 22 32 and 76.

I know the codes but will see if it still does the thing after fixing the ground wires

Hi there, the codes in question are as follows -

12 Satisfactory operation - Self Test ok
22 Throttle position sensor (voltage low) - Faulty Throttle position sender ?
32 Air flow sensor (voltage out of range) - Faulty MAF meter ?
76 Air/Fuel ratio (variation between left and right banks) - Faulty Oxygen sensors/senders ?

Keeping in mind, it maybe the wiring connectors/plugs are either dirty, lose, or damaged.

Hope this helps,
cheers