Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt ls1 oil sump / engine mount questions!

stuey.89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina 5.7L

Ok fellas so im still in the process of removing my oil sump and have hit a slight hiccup..

Vt ls1, I have everything I need (I think) i went n got an engine crane, ive removed the bonnet, and from what I understand, I need to undo the engine mounts, support the engine using the crane, then undo the k-frame low enough to get to the sump bolts.... my question is!

Have undone the drive side engine mount bolts using a ratchet with 2 extension bits, a uni joint and an 18mm bit... the passenger side is my problem, I need to remove my heat shield, air box, and by the looks of it there are some metal lines running straight over the top of the bolt... I think its the tranny fluid lines... I suspect I have to move them but am not sure if theres another way?? Im confident that once I get this last bolt undone I should be able to get my car running the same day and cant wait!!!

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
You should be able to undo the little bracket that holds the tranny lines and then there will hopefully be enough movement in the lines to get to the hidden bolt. Look along the lines to see where they're mounted.

And your mission below in two sentences, sounds easy hey..........

Not a hard job if you have the tools. You'll need to support the motor with a brace across the top of the struts and then from underneath remove the following: Front wheels, front brakes, bottom shock mount, front sway bar link, engine mount nuts, rack mount bolts, k frame to chassis rail bolts (these will be tight), and anything else connected to the k frame. I've probably missed something, but thats the bulk of it anyway. Dont forget to get a wheel alighment done on it after it goes back together.
Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hmmm. The Holden Service CD doesn't mention the trans lines in the engine mount removal/replace section. However, the diagram of the left engine mount shows that the trans lines at about the mid-point of the engine mounts allowing plenty of clearance to the retaining nuts. Perhaps your trans lines have been bent upwards at some time in the past.