Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Maestro, possible to keep factory amp?

Franklee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hi guys, long time reader (blah blah...)

I've recently purchased a VT Calais and I'm very happy :yeah: but the stacker isn't working, so I've bought a new HU.

My question is: How can I wire up the amp/subs to a std 'aftermarket' HU? It has 3 sets of RCA (one for subs) if that helps. Otherwise, it's a pretty std Pioneer deck... I have to keep the original speakers for now, simply because of current $$ issues.

I've searched and couldn't come up with anything definitive, so any info would be appreciated! (A maestro wiring diagram would be worth gold if anyone has it...)

Cheers folks.

macca33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Senator 300
To be honest, it is not worth it. The amplifier is rated at a piddly figure and only powers the rear parcel shelf subwoofers anyway. Get yourself the AerPro VT/VX and AerPro Pioneer conversion looms - two sets of looms that make the H/U fitment plug and play (cost about $30-40). The oem speakers / subwoofers / amp will still be used this way, as you will be plugging directly into the vehicle wiring loom. The sound won't be sensational, but it will be fairly good, especially driving the oem door speakers with a stronger headunit. Be careful not to use TOO much volume though, the speakers may not like it. Only use the RCAs when you get a decent amplifier.

cheers

Franklee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Firstly, thanks for the replies.
HCVP: Don't know mate. Thought it'd be quicker to ask here than pull my boot lining out looking for the amp :)

Macca, just confirming. There is no extra wiring for the amp+subs, the signal is just 'pinched' from the rear speaker wires??? Is that correct? So as long as it's wired up like you would a std aftermarket install, (AerPro loom being the easiest method), the amp+subs just work?

I guess the downside of this is that you lose sub volume control from the aftermarket HU, but I'd say I could live with that...

Cheers fellas,

macca33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Senator 300
As I said mate, the AerPro stuff does just connect straight up - a mob on Ebay sells the looms, otherwise any decent autoparts store should stock them. I have my system connected with a Clarion headunit through these connecting looms and everything else all stock at present and it works fine. Once I get the chance to put my full stereo in, I'll be removing all of the oem stuff anyway.

As for the subbies, they are not exactly earth shattering as you'd know and running them off the stock amp would be the most power I'd put through them anyway. The Bass setting on the Maestro headunit will control the sub volume - to an extent.

For the $30-40 for the looms, it is well worth doing it and you retain all functionality of the system - apart from the steering controls, which is another story altogether.

cheers

Franklee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Cool, sounds like that will be the go for now.

Thanks again mate. :)

macca33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Senator 300
No worries - it really is an easy plug 'n play option with those AerPro looms and it retains full functionality of speakers / amp / aerial - just not the steering wheel controls - you'll need a converter box for them.

cheers

lachys_v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anybody know where i can get a converter box for the steering wheel remote? i also have a vt calais and its kinda annoying not being able to use the steering wheel buttons.
cheers

*EDIT*
if anybody knows the pricing that would also be much appreciated.
Also, my head unit is a JVC if that makes any difference