Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt mirrors on vn-vs

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
is it possible to fit vt mirrors on a vn - vs? i think they look a lot better. or am i ddreaming?

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
VT mirrors!! On a VN?!? R u nuts?
I was thinking along the same lines as you but decided not to use the VT mirrors as they look too bulky and too rounded for the VN shape. That's my opinion anyway. Each to their own - it's your car so you do what makes you happy :)
I was thinking the VY/VZ mirrors for a conversion. They seem to suit the VN shape more and don't look as bulky as the VT ones.
All I need is some time and a donor set of VN and VY mirrors to work on. I'm sure there's a way to do it.
I was told you couldn't fit a VR steering column and VT lighted ignition surround into my VN!! All I can say to that is :p. The new steering set up in my car looks mad :w00t:

Madhouse_Dave

Crazy but Happy
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Hi Lexx
can you tell me what was involved with replacing the sterring colum with the VR one. I would love to have the adjustable colum but you know the money to buy and then what if he dont fit.

B

BR377

You can get nice chrome BMW M3 mirrors to fit VN on ebay, ive seen a couple round here with them, really only suit if youve got a bit of a show car.
I like the VY ones, they would look good imo.

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
Madhouse_Dave said:
Hi Lexx
can you tell me what was involved with replacing the sterring colum with the VR one. I would love to have the adjustable colum but you know the money to buy and then what if he dont fit.
It's very easy to do. :rofl: No, really it is!!
That's what I thought to begin with. Ended up having to custom machine the lower half of the inner column. Then the VR pivot point doesn't fit so you use the lower VN mount. But this does away with the up and down adjustment. I've got telescopic adjustment, but I'm tall and I just keep it out all the way.
The job didn't end up being as adjustable as I thought but it does do what I wanted, so I'm happy.
This really should be passed by an engineer but you'd never know what has been done as it's all hidden inside an outer case.
I know it's annoying, but I'm not going into fine detail for liability reasons. Mess with your steering at your own risk!!
If you are doing the conversion and get stuck, I'd be happy to offer some advice.

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
Here's some pics for you to ponder. This is where I'm at, almost done. Car is drivable, just some cosmetics to take care of.

You'll notice some of the small details like VT lighted ignition surround (in blue, the colour I'd like the rest of my dash lights in!! ), VT indicator stalk, L3 HSV dash ( done while column was out ) and VS shift indicator on the auto.

Attachments

• VR Shroud Mod 1.jpg
    VR Shroud Mod 1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 499
  • VR Shroud Mod 2.jpg
    VR Shroud Mod 2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 474
  • VR Shroud Mod 3.jpg
    VR Shroud Mod 3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 695
  • VR Shroud Mod 4.jpg
    VR Shroud Mod 4.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,012
  • VR Shroud Mod 5.jpg
    VR Shroud Mod 5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 777
  • VS Shift Indicator.jpg
    VS Shift Indicator.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 768

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
hey can you give us a nice full shot of the level 3 dash/instruments. this is something i was going to do when i fitted cruise to my vn since i had to remove the dash/instrument panel. and i might look into the vy mirrors to fit on instead. i can see what you mean about the vt ones being bulky i just though being a closer model than a vy they might fit easier. i just really do not like the vn mirrors. wouldnt mind fitting a vr/vs dash also ;)

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
Like this one?

Attachments

• DSCF0479sml.jpg
    DSCF0479sml.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 572

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
sweeeeeet :) did you need to do any extra wiring for the extra displays on the level 3 instruments? the lcd bits or did it work when you fitted it straight away? and do they all work correctly? i want to fit one to my vn s-pak but then again if i do the whole dash update to a vr/vs dash then it may be pointless although they use the same cluster i belive so i could still run it.

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
It's not a case of out with the old and in with the new. You need the L/H switch block with the buttons for the trip computer and an additional connector and wires for the dash. For info on the cluster conversion, try HERE.
The VR/VS clusters are not compatible ( without major mods ), so if you go to the VR/VS dash panel you would be best to run the VN cluster. It will fit in there no worries and you just retain the standard, or modified Calais VN wiring.
And yes, once you do the wiring, it all works correctly. I was driving on the weekend and a red light came on. I quickly thought I had a problem. Turns out it was the "Low Fuel" light!! Cool. There's readouts and lights for all sorts of stuff with this cluster. Well worth the effort I think.