Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT - new rims and lowering query

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
Im buying in the next week or so some 17's for my VT Series 1.. and i have a couple of questions about lowering it..
Im putting in King Springs, either Ultras all round or supers.. can't decide...

Depending on what springs i put in , will i need a camber kit for the back? will i need new shocks? or does the standard ones do the job.? Also if i only go down to super lows will i only need to install the springs and have no problems? Cos i wanna slam this puppy but i dont wanna have to cough up another $400 for shockers and $400 for a camber kit..

Thanks fellas.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
either way your going to need them (well, not NEED...but its advisable) whether you get super's or ultra's, lowering legally is an expensive process and doesnt just involve chucking springs in.

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
yeah i realise that, but what i mean is, when i had my last car done (VS Series 2) , i had super lows all round and didn't need to change anything other than the springs and i didn't have a single problem..
Would my car last on Ultra Lows with a camber kit but without new shockers? or vice versa, wuld it last with new shockers and with out a camber kit? I realise that without the camber kit my tyres are gonna get chewed like in 2 months...

cheers

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
yeah i realise that, but what i mean is, when i had my last car done (VS Series 2) , i had super lows all round and didn't need to change anything other than the springs and i didn't have a single problem..
Would my car last on Ultra Lows with a camber kit but without new shockers? or vice versa, wuld it last with new shockers and with out a camber kit? I realise that without the camber kit my tyres are gonna get chewed like in 2 months...

cheers

You should have had shorter shocks on the rear of the VS. Shorter shocks are a must with Superlows, let alone ultralows.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
you might not neccessarily have any problems without changing the shocks and getting a camber kit, but for it to be legal (and safe) you should do it. it'll ride and handle better with short travel shocks too.

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
aight well i will put in the springs and get the camber kit installed and then if i find the shockers to be causing a problem i will change them, although i will most likely change them anyways, cos the new ones would be better i spose..

thanks fellas
raZel :thumbsup:

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
I just wanted to re-open this a little...

Im getting the Ultra Low King Springs from a mate and the 4 point camber kit off ebay!

What would i be looking at in terms of price for 2 short shocks for the rear? Also would i be able to install all this gear myself? or should it be left to professionals?

cheers
raZel
:thumbsup:

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Looking at around 120 bux... piece of piss to do yourself, but if you are asking this question Id get some technical minded mates to help out.