Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Performance Problems - Not always?

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I was thinking about the thermostat, my VR is slugglish at high temperatures so might go for a cooler thermostat.

A

Anthony2000

All,

I had a similar problem with the WH statesman I drive. Best way to describe my rides problem was "constipated on hot days". I gained "instant" fix by replacing the catalytic convertor. Seems that the issue was with the car since I bought it (@3ysr old & 48,000Kms) but was intermittent until it started happening more and more and hence beacme annoying. I gained an instant fix by replacing the catalytic convertor and discovered what I had been missing. Not only was the car consistent but will now "make noises like green lights" from a standing start on ANY surface with the T/Controll locked in "fun" mode......... Additionally I requested that the CAT be installed with the heat shield taken OFF (I have supplimentary shielding on the underfloor) as my ride has been lowered 35mm all round and I need all the ground clearance I can get so as not to have to sneek over theose pesky speed humps!!!!!!

Hope this helps.
PS: HiFlo CAT cost me ~$550-00

Tonsta V6 S/C

Reaction score
Website
www.v6supercharged.com.au
Members Ride
VT CALAIS Supercharged V6
accentstencil - the more items on the list you do the better things will get

WAGON MAN - yes applicable to n/a mainly from VS-VY onwards

Anthony2000 - a blocked cat would do it as well. Freeing up the cat converter with a hi-flow item will certainly help as getting the exhaust gases out releives a bit of the cylinder pressure and spent hot gases , cooling and less pressure helps alleviate the tendency for detonation.

Regards

Tonsta

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
Welcome to the World of "Knock Retard"

If using inferior quality fuel, running stock or higher boost or hot weather the ECU Engine Knock Sensors will pick up a bit of incidental detontation and start removing Timing from your Spark Timing Advance Map.

The ECU Knock Interaction can remove as much as 14* Timing moving it into negative timing a some points to try and curb would-be spiralling detontation.

It is very normal for a Super6 to feel good sometimes and crap other times. It will be most noticeable on hot days or times which the engine is very hot from being driven a long time.

Ways to cure:
1) Run ONLY BP Ultimate 98+RON Fuel ALWAYS
2) Nulon Pro-Strength Octane Booster
3) HeatShield for LHS Exhaust Manifold
4) Improve CAI (No PODS !!)
5) Cooler Thermostat (81*C)
6) In-Cabin Fans Switch
7) Intercooling

You can reduce the "Good Day" vs. "Bad Day" power-up and down moods of the Super6 by following the simple above guides.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tonsta

*VERY* interesting indeed .. certainly an angle I hadn't considered .. how much of that would apply to factory S/C V6's? You'd think itd be design spec to be able to operate properly.. and I dont think this car has always done this, its only the last few months its started doing it..

Still.. extractors will be in my future mod plans, heatshield/powder coatin will have to be added to the menu while i'm at it :)

Any suggestions for improving the CAI over factory S/C intake? (Already has scoop & pipe up to the top of the radiator for intake behind grille)

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
As for the exhaust, (sorry was posted before i replied) thats also on my suspect list .. basically what my mechanic left me with "replace your exhaust system mate" .. its on the menu .. extractors + exhaust :)

Tonsta V6 S/C

Reaction score
Website
www.v6supercharged.com.au
Members Ride
VT CALAIS Supercharged V6
... how much of that would apply to factory S/C V6's?

... You'd think itd be design spec to be able to operate properly..
All of it would apply to Factory Super6's they are reknowned for it and we have seen it countless times.

Fuel is VERY CRITICAL - Only use BP Ultimate 98+RON or Mobil Synergy 8000 - ONLY !!!!!

You are probably noticing more lately because:
i) You are focussing on it
ii) You may have changed the type of fuel you are running recently
iii) Rapid change in weather/climate for this time of year has quickly deteriorated your performance from what you are used to.

With Summer Type Weather (30+*C) almost instantly upon us in some states, we have barely gotten out of winter type weather (15*C) and this RAPIDLY deteriorates power.

Heat is the major "Achiliees Heel" of PD Super6's

Take off your engine dress cover as well, this can help to dissapate some of the heat from the supercharger.

All of what you are experiencing is very common, we see it happen every day and it gets worse as the weather gets hotter, you probably don't notice it as much in winter time.

Yes, it is all part of the Factory Programming ECU Protection System, when detonation is detected timing is removed and A/F Ratios are richened up in order to protect the engine.

Follow our tips and advice from above and this will definitely help.

Regards

Tonsta

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
hey this is glow i had the same problem tried everything then i got a second hand computer got the auto elec to put it in and everything is good cost me $145 all up no more problems ...

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
so how did you go glow