Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Performance Problems - Not always?

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
This is an odd one thats bugging me ..

Sometimes, the car goes perfect .. hammers like a S/C V6 Should ..

But other times, and often when its warmer, not 100% is its related, but it seems to be on hotter days (no, nothing to do with A/C), somtimes, it just "wont go".. struggles to get going, basically ..

It drives, just really lacking in power .. can happen in both take offs from standing, you floor it, and it revs to about 2000-2500, and kinda sits there, slowly accellerating, but drinking fuel (according to trip computer) as if it was going fast!

other times is when you'd change down to take over, for example.. you plant your foot, feel it change down gear, revs go to about 2500, and it just kinda maintains speed, barely slowing up, but your foot can be almost on the floor!

It actually feels like it sometimes doesnt know you've put your foot down that far, it just doesnt seem to react to it. I've already had the TPS replaced, mechanic suggested maybe replace exhaust system, but can't explain why sometimes it works fine .. hes kinda just said "live with it"

Any suggestions on what to look for/replace?

O2 sensors have also been replaced, and comp is chucking no codes..

Thanks in advance :)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I can't help but I would be interested in any responses. I have exactly the same problem. The hotter the the day the worse it is, I can put my foot nearly all the way down and it will gradually respond. Perfect in winter. I have also changed O2 sensors.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
I find that my car has alot more snappier throttle response in a chilly cold night, and quite sluggish on a humid warm afternoon. Might just be that the hot weather's air is just affecting it? tryed cleaning your TB/air filter? just my 2c :)

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
accentstencil, do you also notice that the trip computer shows that it is using massive ammounts of fuel, as if it was tearing it up like it should be? Easily see 75l/100 while its struggling to do anything, which is pretty bad ..

Air filter was supposed to be changed last service, which was only a week ago, i'll check it this arvo and make sure it was..
TB I havn't looked at, it appears to be rather tricky to get it off with the S/c on top :|

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
i dont know but i do know when i plant it it takes a few seconds to really respond (its fun dont get me wrong) and then it really takes off, slow response i think

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
accentstencil, do you also notice that the trip computer shows that it is using massive ammounts of fuel, as if it was tearing it up like it should be? :|

Unfortunately I only have a single window trip computer and it doesn't give me litres/100km but I should imagine it's using a lot when you have to put my foot down so far.
I cleaned my throttle body not that long ago so I doubt if that is the problem. All I know is I've had the problem for the last few years. As soon as the weather gets hot it runs like crap. It picks up really slowly like its in second gear or something, but it's definately in first. Also the temperature guage sits in exactly the same position in summer and winter so it's not an overheating problem.
It's also not because I've got the A/C on, because I use that in the colder weather sometimes and it doesn't affect the pick up to that degree.
I hope someone can solve our problem because it's embarrassing taking off like an old lady.
My car is not supercharged but I think our problem is the same.

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
yeh, i'd say whatever causes this, would affect all models of the V6.. Checked my air filter today, it was NOT changed during the service, so i'll grab a new one tomorrow and change that.. i'll also pull the TB off and have a look at it, checked it out today, its in a diff spot than my old VS, and thuis, the S/C doesnt bother it :)

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
car will always go harder at when its cold cos there are more oxygen particles in the air, more oxygen in air equals greater igintion.
dont spend money on o2 sensors its waste of money and pointless coz it's just basic chemistry at work...

cheers
ryan

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
No ****. Hot air, however, does not mean a camry should beat a S/C VT. Did you read the bit about getting stuck around 2500-3000rpm? massive fuel useage but barely able to accellerate? Those are NOT features of hot air.
Hot Vs cold air is a MINIMAL difference. yes theres a measurable difference, but not that its a MAJOR performance difference.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
[QUOTE......
dont spend money on o2 sensors its waste of money and pointless coz it's just basic chemistry at work...

[/QUOTE

I've done a fair bit of research on oxygen sensors and the general opinion is that they should be changed every 80,000 - 100,000 kms as the lose the efficiency with age. When I changed mine there was a huge improvement in pick up. But the weather wasn't really that hot when I changed them. I didn't buy genuine holden sensors so maybe the ones I bought weren't good enough and are already crap. I was not getting fault codes from my old sensors but they were definately not working properly, so I don't think you can assume that they are fine just because there are no fault codes.
Lord-Data, did you replace yours with genuine or a cheaper brand?