Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt popping under load

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt s-pack supercharged
Hi all

My wife ran my fuel tank dry on my cammed s/c v6 and now the engine pops under load. I've replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump still sounds like its working when the accessories are on.

Any ideas?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm not quite sure what you mean by popping, if you mean misfiring then I would look at spark plugs and leads. Whenever I have developed a miss it has always been a faulty lead. If you haven't changed your leads in a long time it might be time to do so.

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah it has all new plugs set to 0.8mm gap and 10mm top gun leads all brand new. The mrs ran the tank dry last week and the surging/popping started after that. I think as the engine is still being run in something along the fuel line side of things is not coping possibly the fuel regulator on the fuel rail, I've replaced the fuel filter and listened for the fuel pump to come on once the key is at accessories. I think my best bet might be to put a fuel pressure guage on it to make sure it's receiving at least 52 psi.

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorted .... It failed fuel pressure test today so fuel pump is buggered