Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt power steering heavy at low speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II executive 3.8L 6cyl
Gday,

Well pretty much my vt commdore series 2 exec when at low speeds and turning/parking its difficult its so heavy and the steering sounds like its being fairly worked, i have replaced the pump not to long ago whether it was installed correctly or not im not sure, i am also getting new tyres this week and a new belt, if the problem still persists after getting these what is your ideas pretty certain the problem will still persist though. Also there is a slight knocking noise in the front left when turning if this help someone pin point that this could be the cause of problem eg, rack broken/worn. Oh and the fuse is fine cruise control and mirrors work fine.

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
by the way problem was still there before replacing pump im pretty sure.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Since you have installed a new pump ( I assume it is not second hand and you bled it properly) then that really only leaves the rack, low tyre pressure or low steering fluid.
The fuse you referred to only applies to vehicles with speed sensitive steering, usually Calais, Statesman and Caprice.

ohwow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore & RX8
That would be the rack! Mine had the exact same problem, including the knocking in the L/H side when turning. Needs to be recon'd or replaced.

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
so your sure it would be the rack? becuase yeh thats the only thing i can think of aswell as the knocking noises as i have sent it into pedders before and asked to check front left bushes etc if they can find the noise problem they couldnt find anything wrong with any bushes/bearings in front left. so if its rack i have to get that fixed before getting new tyres, i will send it in to local mechanic this week sometime, do you know a price on recon on racks or even replacing price? Also did yours struggle to steer at low speeds aswell?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
what size wheels and tyres are you running?
if a new pump was installed with correct pulley then
most likely rack but excessive rubber can cause problems

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
215/60/r15 wheels, pump came with pulleys lol? well i just bolted the pulley old pulley onto pump, its just like a metal casing. and doubt tyres be a worry, i do think its rack i will take it in one day this week to local mechanics see what they reckon, its only when low kms, the power steering is hard, once give it some revs it gets leighter. Dont think Belt is slipping either but who knows, you can like hear it when steering at low kms sounds like its struggling.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It might need bleeding, is it making a groaning noise. If it is, turn it from lock to lock a few times.

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
na mate its fully bled ive drove atleast 5k kms since putting in new pump. when installed i reved to 2k and turned lock to lock several times. i will do it again tomorrow to see what happens.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like you should have found how to bleed the steering system properly before you replaced the pump:

3.3 HYDRAULIC SYSTEM, BLEEDING/REFILLING PROCEDURE
CAUTIONARY NOTES:
1. If the fluid level is low in the fluid reservoir, air will be drawn in and mixed with the fluid in small bubbles. If the pump is allowed to continue operation, an increasing amount of air will be drawn into the system, causing the
fluid volume to increase to a point where the reservoir will overflow. Sudden releases in pressure that will occur when the steering is suddenly taken off a 'full lock' condition, will cause dramatic eruptions of fluid from the
reservoir. The separation of air entrapped under these conditions will be extremely difficult to remove and may take several days.
2. If the steering rack assembly requires replacement, a large volume of air will be required to be purged, which means that the reservoir fluid level will fall rapidly when the engine is started.
3. During bleeding, it is important that the front wheels are clear of the ground and that the steering is not held forcibly against the steering stops.
BLEEDING/REFILLING PROCEDURE
1. Raise front of vehicle and place on safety stands.
2. With engine not running, add fluid to reservoir to the maximum mark (or greater, if it is known that the steering gear is empty).
3. Start engine and allow to run for only 2-3 seconds. Do not turn the steering wheel at this point.
4. Continue with Steps 2 and 3 until the fluid level remains constant.
5. Start and run the engine at idle speed, turning the steering wheel from lock to lock, without holding at the full lock positions (this will build up high pressures, atomising any entrapped air). Repeat this procedure from six to eight times. Stop the engine, check the fluid level and top up to the maximum level, as required.
6. Start and run the engine at idle speed. Again turn the steering wheel from lock to lock but now slowly build up the pressure levels by holding against the full lock position from 1-2 seconds. Repeat this procedure from four
to six times. Stop the engine and top up the fluid level to the maximum mark, as required.
NOTE:
While the majority of entrapped air will be removed by the above process, a small amount may remain, which can only be removed by alternate circulation and settling of the fluid for a prolonged period. This is usually achieved automatically after two to three days, with daily driving and settling overnight.
7. Turn the steering wheel to the straight ahead position, lower vehicle to the ground and turn ignition 'OFF'.

However, as others have posted above, it sounds like the rotary control valve in your rack is faulty/degraded and you may need a reconditioned/changeover rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.