Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt power steering heavy at low speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II executive 3.8L 6cyl
Yeh thanks mate, i have been driving it for like 5kms since i changed pump should the air have atleast escaped by now? but i did raise front wheels and turned lock to lock then reved to 2000 rpm as advised and turned lock to lock again a few times. Also i have a Knocking noise in the front left also so not sure what that is but may refer to the rack, im just gunna take it to local mechanic and ask him what problem is an then quote on fixing price coz i also have another issue with the car and thats when you turn lights or headlights on the cars RPM drops a little.

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
bump anyone have any other suggestions?

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
took it to mechanic he said racks fine, he said the knocking noise is normal for rack, and pumps fine as its new, he did pressure test aswell, when i press on my belt the tensioner pulley moves aswell with it, should it move or should it only move when u get breaker bar on it? because yeh i dont think just by pressing on belt that the tensioner should move.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The tensioner will move if you put pressure on the belt, it's spring loaded, that's how it keeps the tension.

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
i dunno then if mechanics dodgey then becuase he says rack and pumps fine, other then that he doesnt know, its leight at fast speeds, hard at low, struggle to park, im just gunna replace tensioner and belt and pulleys, then see how it goes, as only cost me liek 150 to do so, if not then i will take it to another mechanic to check it out.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Check the indicator on the tensioner to see if it is in the acceptable range, perhaps the belt has stretched and is a bit loose, but I think you would hear a squeal if it was slipping.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Also make sure the tensioner is moving freely through it's full range of motion.

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
well, my resiovour used to pop out of place, doing this caused the low pressure hose to get a hole cut in it by the belt, i then had a new hose installed by mechanic, happened again 2 days later and i then did it myself, and replaced the pump aswell, and i noticed there was a black clip behind the resivour which wasnt released and cause resivour to pop out, so i engadged it and cable tied it for saftey lol, after doing this my steering has gotten heavy, i did do a full flush, and made sure everything was ok, didnt think much of it until i drove my mated car (exact same as mine just diff colour) and noticed his steering was awesome compared to mine. Also when i put my high beams on car lowers in revs, which makes me think something else is happening and its the belt causing it i dont know. Also the mechanic i took it to the other day thinks racks fine, pumps fine, pressure tested it aswell, and thats it snormal for car to loose a bit of revs when putting highbeams on as its loading the alternator, he still has my car as i took it back, only thing he said was weird was little kink in high pressure hose but he got that out. Im sure he would know to check the belt etc and i mentioned to him about the tensioner moving when pressing on belt he said as accentstil said. Got me stuffed.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Clean the TB and IAC stepper motor. If idle control isn't working properly it can do what you describe. Drop in revs is a good dinicator for the stepper motor not working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.