Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Problems

clee1033

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 1 V6
I have a 1997 VT Commodore, the boot is leaking when it rains or the car gets washed the water gets inside the boot lid when i lift it water sprays everywhere,

other leak is back of the car, for example it rains and there is wet(damp) carpet in the middle of the 2 floor its not coming from the door, i think it might be comin from that black thing between drivers door and back door, and leaking down the trims inside and pooling in the middle of the carpet, any ideas? anyone, i am in newcastle, nsw? if i cant fix it is there a place to take it to get looked into, and how much do you think it would cost if i cant fix it

Also the door remote control no longer pops drivers side door, looks to have water dripping from the door might of stuffed the door popper

thanks everyone for reading

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
the first problem about water in the boot seems to be a typical thing all round,esp with heavy rain i had the same..i put 2mm rubber between my spoiler and boot and seemed to work so far,if ya dont have a spoiler then im stumped.check all ya external rubbers m8 might be worn,cant really see it leaking between the exterior mould unless its cracked??

clee1033

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 1 V6
No spoiler i wish, when you lift boot up, around the lights on the lid, i stuck some silicone around that and made sure it was a tight seal, no luck its getting in there some how

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Hi mate,

I'm in Newcastle too! The boot thing is a long known issue with VT's. There are 2 small oval drain holes a the bottom that get sealed up by paint when the car is painted (nice quality control). Grab a small flat head screwdriver and you can poke the paint out of the holes. That will help a bit, though with the design, you'll never stop water dripping into the boot when the lid is opened.

I also had issues with the front doors not draining properly. Not sure how to fix this. I know that the dealer adjusted my front doors before I bought the car to try and get rid of the annoying window squeak, so maybe moving them slightly out of alignment has affected the drain holes. Also check for gunk blocking the holes.

Your pillar/rear issue I've not encountered. I know that since moving to Newcastle, my pillar covers on the outside have warped a bit due to the intense sun we experience here. To date, though, they haven't leaked.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I have the same, I havent got around to pushing out the putty to make it drain properly.

clee1033

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 1 V6
from what i see external rubbers and all other rubbers look fine, unsure,

clee1033

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 1 V6
Longman
Unsure mine look at bit out of place, we have the same car, just hate the water leaking into the back of the car, makes the car smell like **** and has a bad odor of we carpet i need to fix, boot is not a big issue really, just more it getting side i cant see any other place the water can get in the middle of the carpet, i think it would have to go down a pannel of some kind, and sit in the middle cant be comin from the door as its not wet around the door inside the car, i am in broadmeadow,

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
the only other thing i can suggest is taking the trims of that side and when it rains jump in car and try work out where its leaking from m8

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
There are 2 small oval drain holes at the bottom that get sealed up by paint when the car is painted (nice quality control).

interesting i never knew that, i drilled extra holes lol

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
G'day mate, I'm just up the road in Rankin Park (near John Hunter). Are your pillar covers warped?
Can you see any staining inside where the water is running down? Might help pinpoint the exact location of the leak.

You said all rubbers look good, does that include door rubbers and channels? Perhaps you could take off the plastic mouldings inside the pillar and see if you can see any water there.