Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt radiator hose busted

vhmarbleface

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH, VL, VT, 74 monte carlo,75 dropped effy
my musses vt top rad. hose busted , i put a new hose on but shes tellin me i have to fill the bottle to the right that says "coolant". so do i put it in there or do i take the cap off and it in the top of the radiator? any help appreciated, thanks guys

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
Goes in the cap on top of the radiator. Make sure you keep an eye on the levels as you have to keep toping it up as there will be air in the system.

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
There's also a bleed screw at the top of the thermostat housing, at the other end of the top hose. Best to fill it up cold, put the cap back on, undo bleeder screw only a few turns, let the car idle until hot, wait for coolant to weep out of the bleeder, tighten up the bleeder and check the coolant once its cold again..

-Nick.

vhmarbleface

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH, VL, VT, 74 monte carlo,75 dropped effy
its sorted thanks guys

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Acclaim Wgn V6 Auto
Hi guys

My radiator got replaced last week and all's been well. When I got home today, I opened the bonnet and it looked like someone pissed coolant all over my engine!!!!!!!!! Inch long split at the thermostat end of the top radiator hose! Mustve just happened as I drove up the driveway! Lucky

Gonna get a new hose tomorrow. Looks simple enough;take off clamps, old hose off, new hose on, clamps back on. Now, I was once told with my VP to take off the radiator cap as S.T.K.E said when the car is cold, fill to the top, start the car and wait till the thermostat lets go and sends it thru the engine, then fill with coolant till it hits the bottom of the radiator cap neck and stops bubbling then put the cap on. Will this work or should I use the bleeder valve as 'nick' said?

vhmarbleface, how did you go about replacing your hose?

Any help most welcome

P.S. I know this is probably VT Commodore kindergarten stuff, but the cowling on the top of the engine - its just those four bolts up top to take it off, am I right? Only had the car three weeks so I am still learning :)

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Yes, correct, but they are 'nuts'. Remove them and the cover will lift off. Be carefull you don't lose the four little rubber grommets with the steel spacer tube inside them (that the nuts hold down) that locate on the studs sticking up from plenum. Have a close look and you will see what i mean.

Pablo

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Acclaim Wgn V6 Auto
Hey Pablo

Yeah nuts, what did I say, bolts! Sorry, I wrote it at like 1 in the morning so I was probably half asleep!!

Thanks for the advice about the rubber grommets!

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
when bleeding the air out with the bleeder screw make sure all the air is out.
wait till you get a constant stream of fluid coming out not just spitting then tighten the screw and replace cover.

turn car off check for leaks around hoses as pressure is still in the system do not remove radiator cap when hot under any circumstances.

ps do not over tighten the engine cover nuts as you will destroy the grommets quarter turn will do once you have tension on the nut

if all ok happy motoring

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
Yeah i do it my way because accessing the thermostate on the super 6 is a ****ing pain in the arse. You can't start the car when you have to remove the throttle body and MAF

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
The bleeder on the supercharged v6 is right next to the alternator where the end of the top hose is.

-Nick.