Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT rattling sound from engine (Video inside)

M.J

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
started hearing this slight rattling noise from my engine the other day. only happens in gear not in park/nuet. any ideas on whats wrong?

[YOUTUBE]?v=mkimt54EXLI[/YOUTUBE]

M.J

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Bump, anyone have any ideas?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
To me sounds like a pulley

Could be a fraying belt also, splash some water on the belt whilst running, if it disappears then its pulley or belt.

More inclined for a pulley.

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
I had that in my VT, pretty sure it was something in the trans itself, it happened after someone took my trans cooler out and didn't tell me so all my trans fluid came out lol. Kind of hard to tell exactly from the video but it sounds very similar. I drove with it for 6 months with no problems, then car got stolen so don't know how much longer it was gonna last

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Some of the idler pulleys have bearings in them. I couldn't pin point it myself so i took it to my mehcanic who fixed it. One pulley was a straight replace and i'm pretty sure one or two have bearings. I also got the harmonic balancer replaced at the same time. Not a peep since.

blokes666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 50th anniversary wagon
it happened to my vt wagon and it was the harmonic balancer the rubber was stuffed but it sounded like a bearing rattling

M.J

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
it happened to my vt wagon and it was the harmonic balancer the rubber was stuffed but it sounded like a bearing rattling

Might have to take mine in to a mechanic then. Is it bad to continue driving it like this if it is the ballancer?

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
i had this issue 2 months ago, replaced idler pulley, all good about $45 from repco